It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road
Question Kitten and Puppy... long post

Well, we now have a puppy, he just got here last night and he is about 2 months old, cute quiet little thing, shy yet friendly, he is a light tan toy poodle it seems, will fall asleep instantly if he is at anyone's lap... Pooky hasn't taken this so well...

Pooky is about 3 months old and has only seen a puppy 2 times before, it was a female golden retriever of about the same age who would either ignore him or try to be friendly, Pooky seemed scared but I figured it was only because it was something new to him and the puppy was of bigger size than him.

The puppy we just got is smaller than him though, at least in size, they are supposed to be about the same age, it's a male (no name yet!) yesterday they seemed to be doing ok, both very cautious and somewhat scared of one another, but curious, puppy never barked though while Pooky seemed to be ready to attack at moments.

They slept in different rooms just in case but I did let the puppy spend some time in that room so Pooky would get to smell him later, this morning when I tried to get them together in the backyard (it is big so plenty of room to keep their distance if they wanted to) the puppy was being less shy sniffing around and Pooky behaved ... I can't think of another way to describe it except territorial, specially with me and when he got around his favorite toy. To the point that he hissed and tried to scratch him at the end, he actually chased us around and he would try to attack him if I got close, but I needed to pick the puppy up, so again put them in different rooms and I let the puppy have a nap on my lap while he calmed down, after that when he saw Pooky he barked at him (there was a glass door).

I have Pooky on my lap as I write this and he seems pretty calmed and happy with his loud purr, just his normal self, while I let the puppy roam alone in the backyard so he gets to sniff around to his heart contempt, I am hoping Pooky being warm and comfy and with some of the puppy scent on me will help to think of him in a more positive way, because when they grow up they will be about the same size I think, so it makes me worry they could constantly fight and both get hurt.

Sorry for the long post, is just I would really like to treat them the same and both little guys to grow up to be playmates and indoor/outdoor pets and take them for walks together in a few months when they are both finished with all their basic vet stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-20-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Aw your new pup sounds cute, let us know what you decide to call him. It sounds pretty much the same as introducing a new kitten to an established cat, Pooky is bound to be a bit territorial to start with but hopefully gradual introduction as you are doing will help them to accept each other, as they are both so young it should be easier

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-23-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thank you for your reply, it is getting a little better specially now that I took both of them to the vet and they both had a medicated bath, I guess having a very similar smell helps, they even played today, or at least it looked like playing.

When they are outside Pooky is more territorial, probably because he spends most of the time over there even if it's a bit cold, he likes to snuggle on top of the water heater, another problem is that the puppy tries to eat cat food or go to the litter box or play with his toys, he will have to learn to share.

Indoors the only thing I need to keep an eye on is that Pooky is curious about the dog food, so I can take my eyes off them and relax a little as long as there is no food around, not that the puppy minds at all, but I figure it is not healthy to let a cat eat dog food.

Both of them will be neutered in about a week or so, the vet said that would also help for them to get along better faster.

Oh and no name for the puppy yet, no good picture of them together either, but here is one from when they first met.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (83.9 KB, 1 views)
Unread 11-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Adorable pic, and I bet they will grow up to be fast friends.

Just give it time you can't really treat them "the same" as cats and dogs react differently to different stimuli, but it sounds like you will figure things out as you go along.

Can't wait to hear more stories about the two of them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
age , art , attack , cat , cute , eye , eyes , fast , female , fight , friendly , happy , hey , hurt , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitten , litter box , moments , morning , night , outdoor , picture , playing , poodle , puppy , scared , scratch , smell , territorial , toys , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links