It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Cheerful
Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Cat is gacking but no hairball yet?

Hi guys,

Lestat started to gack yesterday like he wants to throw up but nothing comes up. I'm not sure he's about to spit a hairball, he has very short hair and doesn't shed at all. And I groom him every single week even though I don't catch much loosen/dead hair.

When cats start to gack do they usually spit an hairball immediately or can it take more time? It's my first cat and I never saw this before, when I saw him yesterday it seemed awful, all the gacking but no vomiting.

His stool seems to have some hair attached, not much though, so I assumed he was eliminating hair well.

Should I take him to the vet? I tend to worry too much but he's my first cat ever and I have him for 2 months only. I'm such a cat's noob...

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-30-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

acerlt is on a distinguished road

As long as he is eating and eliminating normally, not to worry just yet.

Yes cats can do the hyuk hyuk and not get anything up. He is young for hairball trouble, but his fur is thick.

Fur doesn't always form into what people think of as the typical hairball. There can be flat mats of it coating the insides of stomach, intestine or esophagus. My guess is that he's got some fur stuck somewhere around his throat.

My suggestion is to dose Lestat with hairball remedy for three days in a row. See if that gives him some relief.

Then cut back to every other day for a couple of doses, then drop to every four days....once a week.

Of course if his condition worsens, or after the first three days he does not seem better, get him to the vet. He is inside only right?

Do you have long hair by any chance?

Give the hairball remedy on an empty stomach at least an hour before food.

Let me know how he's doing.

PS..I just peeked in your profile, you DO have long hair. It may be your hair he is ingesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-30-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Lu_Bloodmoon is on a distinguished road

Gail,

Thanks so much for having time to give me advice, with all you're going through atm.

I also doubt it's a hairball but I'm not expert. You are correct, his hair is very thick and he's grooming himself quite a lot lately. I don't see any cat hair around since he doesn't seem to shed (which I find great!) but maybe he's ingesting some.

Now you got me thinking... he sometimes sees my hair as a toy. He will grab it with both paws, pull it and even tries to eat it, usually when I wear a ponytail (not often).

After work I'll go to the vet shop and ask for a hairball remedy, just in case.

"Dogs have masters. Cats have servants."
Unread 03-15-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Mr. Midnight does that sometimes, and he never brings up a hairball. About a year ago he started doing it frequently for a couple of days and I brought him to the vet because I was scared. It was as if he was choking/hacking/coughing/trying to puke/trying to bring up a hairball. I wasn't sure what was happening. I left him at the vet overnight and he did not do it even once while he was there (you know, it's like when your car is making a funny noise and when you bring the car to the mechanic, the noise stops.) Till this day I don't know what those noises mean. If you find out please letus know. I hope Lestat will be okay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
advice , cat , cat's , cats , cut , eating , food , fun , funny , fur , great , groom , grooming , hey , scared , vet , vomiting , worry

Sponsored Cat Links