It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-02-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sad
KMurdock429 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 2 of my cats ganging up on my 3rd cat

Hello. I have 4 cats. Tabby (7yrs old), Sammy (6 yrs old), Georgia (1 1/2 yrs old and Sammys daughter) and Wheely (also 1 1/2 but Tabbys daughter). Have had Tabby and Sammy since they were 6-8 weeks old and Tabby has always been the loner but still the dominant one, until recently. Sammy and Wheely (tabbys offspring) have been ganging up on Tabby and its to the point where Tabby WILL NOT come out of hiding. Not even to eat or use the bathroom. The only way she eats is if i put it wherever she is hiding. Not sure if or where she is using the bathroom, but where she is, is nowhere near enough room for a liter box (between the wall and a big speaker). I have even tried locking her in the bathroom (where food and the liter box are) by herself and she runs straight behind the toilet and stays until she can run back to her hiding spot. I have tried to just watch her and not feed her but still she does not move and im afraid if i do that she will just starve to death. This has been going on for about a week now and im getting extremely worried. Please if anyone has ANY suggestions please share!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome. I first have some questions.

Are the younger cats all spayed and neutered?

While I'm waiting for you to answer here is what I suggest.

Install some feliway plug in diffusers, this will help with territorial feelings.

Add more litter boxes.

Close the other cats up in a room for a few hours each day so Tabby has the run of the house.

Most importantly: bring Tabby to the vet.

Sometimes, if a cat is sick, the other cats will react to that in a hostile way.

I recommend you get Tabby to the vet for a check up without delay. She should have her urine checked and blood work done, make sure the vet does a thorough look into her ears and mouth, and palpates her abdomen and back.

I'll be watching for your reply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-07-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

first off thanks so much for the reply. no the younger ones are not neutered. actually none of them are. they did have thier first shots about 3 months after birth and the moms had their check up then as well, but that was right after my son was born and now money is a big issue. and since u brought up the possabilities of an illness i will do absolutely what i can to get her seen ASAP. she is my first cat and i would absolutely die if something happened to her. i did check her gums and paws and they look pink and healthy but still have not found where she may be using the bathroom if at all but she has been in the bathroom where the liter box is but everytime i check on her she is in the tub. and we do shut the door so she has been by herself for at least an hour here and there so she could be using it. and when the door is open and the others cats go near her she does hiss at them and they go running which really makes me wonder y she still seems scared? also i have no idea what feliway plug in diffusers are but i will check into it online and find where to get them. Thanks soo much again. Ill update as soon as i find something out.
Unread 12-07-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome, but you need to get those cats fixed. All of them. Find a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area.

Until you spay and neuter them you will continue to have problems. Constant heat cycles is extremely stressful for cats and makes them behave in undesirable ways. Every heat a cat has increases her risk for uterine cancer, pyrometra and breast cancer.

Intact males will fight and spray and impregnate the females. How are you preventing them getting pregnant? And, not meaning to offend but how can you stand the smell of tom cat pee in your house?

Start with Tabby though because she sounds sick. Pale gums is a sign of anemia, just because she does not have pale gums does not mean she is healthy, there are many illnesses that do not cause pale gums.

My worry, knowing she is not spayed is pyometra, which is a very painful, often fatal, infection of the uterous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-07-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Unread 12-14-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I know i need to get them fixed because evertime they accidently get outside they end up pregnant. And i dont have to worry about the smell of a male spraying because i dont have a male. all female. But we did get her to the vet and all they said was she was depressed? gave us no meds or anything. said she would bounce back and since then she has been coming out more and more but still a lil worried. Didnt know a cat could be depressed. I also looked up the symptoms of Pyometra and she has none of the signs. And yes i know that does not rule it out but y would u think that when i did not describe any of the symptoms. Im already freaking out enough and feel helpless cause we dont have the money to get the best med treatment. I just dont understand y u would suspect things she has no signs of? She may not go and get her food but everyday i bring it to her she eats it right away. The vet says for her weight she should have about 1 cup a day. she eats more than that. I apreciate all the help but im gonna wait this out about another week and if shes still not back to normal my brother already said he would help us out by getting her to a better vet. i think this is just making my nerves worse by thinking its way worse than the 1st vet says. Not meaning to offend u or anything. But thanks again.
Unread 12-14-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm not offended. I just don't understand why you have four unspayed female cats. Kittens cost way more than the expense of a spay, so I see no reason for it. What happens to all these kittens you keep making?

The fact that they are all intact is your behavior problem. Get them spayed. They will be healthier happier cats. Tabby is depressed because you have been forcing her to go through heat cycle after heat cycle after heat cycle, for 7 years! And now she is being attacked, which adds to the depression.

The other cats are equally moody and frustrated. In my opinion it is cruel to keep unspayed female cats. Intact females, as you have found, go into heat often. And they feel an instinctive drive to copulate, to get pregnant. It is very frustrating for them and can cause undesirable changes in behavior.

When they get out and get pregnant then they have the stress of pregnancy, labor and delivery and nursing the kittens. Also not good for them, and also not good for the rest of the world, there are already too many unwanted kittens in the world.

And each day they are left intact is another day closer to pyemetra or uterine cancer.

To answer this:

Quote:
I just dont understand y u would suspect things she has no signs of?
Because cats are masters at hiding illness, and often when other cats gang up on one, suddenly, it is because the one is sick. I'm glad Tabby does not have pyometra, yet.

Please, do the right thing by them and get them spayed. Now.

please read this first
Unread 01-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

ToledoCats is on a distinguished road

I have a very similar problem after taking in a mama and her daughter. They're complete bullies to one of my girl kitties and it's been a battle trying to correct it while I'm fostering these two.

You'll want to put Tabby in the bathroom and keep her there for at least 3 days, though I recommend at least 5. It really depends on how long it takes her to relax. She's not going to starve herself to death, but the stress can dehydrate her and cause illness (typically a bladder or urinary track infection). Keeping her in the room will let her stress melt away with time. Keep the noise minimal and the lights dim (you can get a cheapie night light at dollar stores or Mart-type places). While you're visiting her, keep calm and speak softly, always letting her come to you first.

Once Tabby's mellow and happy, start re-introducing the two thugs - one at a time with the most submissive first. Keep these meetings very brief - under 10 seconds - and ever-so-gradually increase the time. Use treats and affection for good behavior and end the sessions, ignoring kitty for 2 whole minutes, for bad. Never coddle kitties for being upset, this only reassures this behavior.

This can take months to correct and if they're not fixed, seek a reputable clinic and get them snipped-n-clipped stat! Normally I don't care to house more than 2 females at the same time because of these personality clashes. If you put all you have into it and they still won't coexist peacefully, consider rehoming the younguns. In my experience, that many girl kitties usually creates trouble, but they have been known to sort their differences out and live long and happy lives together. Keep working with patiently at Tabby's pace and hopefully all can be mended.

Watch for signs of infection such as strained urinating, painful or excessive urinating, and ditching the box altogether.
Unread 05-19-2015   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

MeowMommy is on a distinguished road

I have a similar problem, first they are all fixed so that isn't the problem and all cats are healthly all vet approved.
I first got the male cat and he loves to play fight, we were getting scratched and bit to death, lol. He was now 4 months old. After trying all the ideas I could find and nothing worked We decided to get another kitty for him to bite.
We went back to the rescue people we got him from and they had two more kitties, we got them both, turned out to be both girls, sisters 2 months old. all was fine for awhile the male and one girl would play fight and bonded completely then...
Fluffy was spending more and more time alone. She just is not a cat person, she is a princess not a fighter. still everything was ok, now fast forward in the 3rd year, the 2 are ganging up on fluffy and making her spend her time upstairs, if she comes down we try not to draw attention to her because as soon as the others, especially her sister, sees she is here they chase her back up. when she does come down she tries to hide.
there are always cat fights at night. Feliway seemed to work somewhat in the beginning but now it is spring and it doesn't work when the windows are open. need a REAL solution. We have tried all the vets ideas and nothing has helped this far.

Last edited by MeowMommy; 05-19-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Unread 05-19-2015   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Do you have enough elevated space for them? Especially a spot for Fluffy to be up high, in the room where the family is, where she can see everyone but feel safe.

Do you distract them with play when they go after her?

How many litter boxes do you have?

How about the vanilla trick? Cats are all about scent and there may be something about Fluffy's scent that the other two don't like. The vanilla trick is very simple, you put a dot of vanilla on the chin and the root of the tail of each cat. This makes them all smell the same to one another.

Use real cooking vanilla, and just a very tiny drop. Try it for a week or so, once or twice a day, and see what happens.

And finally: what are you feeding them? Diet plays a much larger role in behavior than most people realize. Foods that are full of fillers and grains can affect the way a cat feels, and acts. In addition dry fed cats are perpetually dehydrated, this also affects how they feel and act.

Diet can also affect how a cat smells. For instance there might be something in the food that doesn't agree with Fluffy's system, creating an unpleasant (to the other cats) personal scent.

please read this first
Unread 05-19-2015   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

MeowMommy is on a distinguished road

Oh and I missed a question, we have 3 litter boxes, 1 in each bedroom (2) upstairs and one downstairs. and 2 feeding stations, 1 up and 1 down.

Tags
art , behavior , birth , bite , bladder , box , cat , cats , color , depressed , diet , fast , fight , fights , food , found , girl , healthy , heat , hey , hiding , hiss , house , infection , kitty , litter , litter boxes , male , money , opinion , pee , pregnant , problems , raw , scared , sick , spay/neuter , spayed , suggestions , tabby , territorial , type , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links