It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

specht is on a distinguished road
Default about cats training

How many of us, cats owners, trying continuously to call our cat, hoping he will come to us when he hears his name. Most cats ignore the call coldly, and even move away. It doesn't mean that it is impossible to teach a cat to come to you, or that he does not know his own name or whatever you asked him. What this does mean is that the cat was not convinced that running to you when you call his name serves his best interests. Cats are more selfish animal then dogs. Dogs been raised and educated to please their owners over millions of years, so they will obey instinctively to a human been, considered to be a dominant pack member.
for more go to: cats-world.info
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I don't agree at all with these comments. My cats always respond when I call their names.

They are loving and devoted to me and to one another.

Cats are quite able to be trained, as they are extremely intelligent animals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-05-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

sure they are... if you read the entire article you see that it says exactly the same as you...
Unread 12-05-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I read the website. Every section is an advertisement for some e books (to be purchased) on how to train cats and such like that. Information people can get in any decent pet forum for free for the asking.

Some of the info, such as on nutrition and health is good. However some of the behavior and "training" information is way off. (some of it actually is good)

Cats are diurnal, hunting at dawn and dusk, not nocturnal. How would they hunt a bird at night? However, cats should be kept inside for their own health and safety so hunting is a non issue. They can adjust to an interactive play time (which imitates and satisfies the hunting instinct) at any time of day or night, depending on their human companion's schedule.

Cats, in general are not solitary creatures. When feral, they form colonies. When stray they seek out humans. They form long lasting deep emotional bonds with other cats, humans, and other animals, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, even birds and mice and rats.

This is a fallacy that needs to be put to rest. Too many people adopt cats thinking they are "low maintenance". Put down a bowl of kibble, and top it off once a day (ugh!) and clean the litter box once in a while.

Then they come into these forums wondering why their cat cries all the time, or destroys things, or pees on the couch. Fortunately they DO look for help, so they can be reeducated as to what a cat actually needs.

Cats are very social creatures and need their human's attention just as much as any other creature. They need daily play time, in a structured way. They need to be groomed and cuddled and talked to and loved. They need their litter boxes kept clean, and canned food.

Off my soap box....for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 12-05-2010 at 11:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-05-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Thak you Gail!
(Brandon, any chance of an applauding smiley along with the dancing bananas? )
I get really annoyed by the misconception that cats are unaffectionate and selfish. This seems somehow to make it acceptable for people to 'hate' cats. Several of my work colleagues have said they hate cats to me despite knowing that I have two cats who I adore. I rarely hear people expressing such hatred for any other animal. People say they dislike dogs or are scared of spiders but hatred seems to be reserved for cats.
Sorry for the rant but I really think that this false image of the aloof, selfish, somehow 'evil' cat makes it more acceptable for people to hate them and be cruel to them. As Gail says this fallacy needs to be put to rest.

By the way Specht, this post is in no way a criticism of your original post or your website.
Unread 12-05-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi Gail and Hallan,

thank you for your comments. i also adore cats, and have one of my own, so i completely agree with your opinion. i wish there were more of us...
Unread 12-05-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
Thank you Gail!
(Brandon, any chance of an applauding smiley along with the dancing bananas? )
I get really annoyed by the misconception that cats are unaffectionate and selfish. This seems somehow to make it acceptable for people to 'hate' cats. Several of my work colleagues have said they hate cats to me despite knowing that I have two cats who I adore. I rarely hear people expressing such hatred for any other animal. People say they dislike dogs or are scared of spiders but hatred seems to be reserved for cats.
Sorry for the rant but I really think that this false image of the aloof, selfish, somehow 'evil' cat makes it more acceptable for people to hate them and be cruel to them. As Gail says this fallacy needs to be put to rest.

By the way Specht, this post is in no way a criticism of your original post or your website.
Sorry, I don't have the ability to add smilies lol.

And had no one replied to this post, it would have been marked as spam, as so many others like it have been. But I figure I'll let this one hang around. For now.

Tags
affectionate , animal , annoyed , behavior , birds , books , box , canned food , cats , clean , dogs , feral , food , free , health , hey , image , litter , litter box , litter boxes , loving , night , nutrition , opinion , pet , play , scared , social , stray , training

Sponsored Cat Links