It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

MommyOfOnyx is on a distinguished road
Default is it normal for a cat to snort?

okay so onyx has started to snort when i pet him from time to time, and i dont know if this is normal? he is eating and drinking water normally and he doesent have nasle discharge or anything and i have only noticed it when he is sitting in my lap being petted. he is a semi flat nosed dont know if that would make a difference? and i know he does snore when he sleeps which the vet has said a lot of cats snore. but he only recently started the snorting thing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm having trouble picturing what you mean by snort.

Mazy and Jennie have a funny snort they do when they are irritated, and I think Queen Eva is picking it up from them. It's kind of a whuff of exhale from the nostrils, it's actually quite funny.

I'm guessing that's not what you mean, but could it be an expression of contentment?

Do you mean he sounds like he is congested?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

its almost like when people laugh really hard and that snort lol just a little more quietly and without the laugh, i read on yahoo answers that some cats snort to show affection and some to show irritateion, but i dont really like to trust yahoo answers for common sense. im not to worried about it beacuse like i said its only once in awhile and he is acting normal
Unread 12-19-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hmmm...I snort when I laugh, LOL.

I know you'll watch him carefully, but it does sound, to me, like he is expressing his contentment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 12-19-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

yes if i notice any changes i will call the vet just my vet is way over charged and when i mention anything to her its well i think i should see him and right away get a $60 charge lol i might look into a new vet soon just where i am living right now there are only like 2 vet places with in an hour drive so they can charge whatever they want lol
Unread 01-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

ToledoCats is on a distinguished road

Those who snore have been known to snort. Smushed in faces can cause disturbances in air passage. If it starts getting worse, see your vet. It could be a deviated septum which occasionally can create breathing problems. But from what you've described, it sounds like kitty just doesn't have as much room for deep breaths to travel soundly.
Unread 01-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

my boyfriend was recently over and was petting him and he snorted while being petted with him, but he only does it when he is being petted or cuddled so i really think it might be him showing that he is happy over a medical thing
Unread 01-13-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyOfOnyx View Post
my boyfriend was recently over and was petting him and he snorted while being petted with him, but he only does it when he is being petted or cuddled so i really think it might be him showing that he is happy over a medical thing
Aww.......I think so too.

please read this first
Unread 01-14-2011   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
rescuecatsrule is on a distinguished road

Dylan likes grunting like a pig just because he can (we've started making farmyard jokes here)

Tags
boyfriend , breathing , cat , cats , eating , fun , funny , happy , hey , jokes , kitty , medical , pet , problems , queen , travel , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links