It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-07-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sleepy
bryan123 is on a distinguished road
Default Clover is biting and tipping over her waterbowl

Hi all and Happy New Year! My kitten Clover who was born on March 17th 2010. She is putting a paw in her water bowl at times and sometimes tipping it over with her paw. She is spayed. She also is biting me. Every time i pet her, she rolls over and trys/starts to bite and trying to scracth me with her back legs. I dont abuse her in any way.. any reason why she is doing these things? she has all her shots and everything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-07-2011   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Oh, Clover's a shamrock kitty!!!! Anyway, my cats used to do that with the water bowl. For awhile they were doing it alot but seemed to grow out of it. They also used to wash their hands and face in their water bowl. As far as the biting and scratching, again, my cats do that. They re playing. Cats will NEVER roll on their backs unless they really trust you. Their belly is very sensitive and vulnerable. When a person they trust rubs their belly, they will do what is called "rabbit kicks" with their back feet and at the same time bite your hand. If you are trying to discourage this type of biting/scratching, then don't pet Clover when she has rolled over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-07-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

For the water bowls..as Aunt Kitty as posted, it's quite common for cats to play in their water bowls. Mazy was a real water bowl dragger and tipper over. I solved the problem by using heavy non tippable water bowls. Square ceramic baking pans work great.

For the playing in the water, well, there isn't much to do. If it bothers you to see (or step in) spilled water you can put the water bowls on shallow trays.

Ootay (rb) was a water splasher, double pawed she would splash! splash! splash! splash! always made quite a mess, the funny girl. She also used to like to dip her paws in and lick the water off her paws to drink.

When she got very old and fragile and I gave her her own special litter box up in my bathroom she would also dip her paws in the water after she used the litter box to wash them

I agree with Aunt Kitty about the biting too. Cats love to show their yummy tummies when they trust you but not all cats want you to touch them, the big teasers!

Learn her limits. If you pet her four strokes, and then she rolls over and grabs you or bites you, only pet her three strokes.

When she does bite, stop all activity, tell her "No Clover" firmly, don't shout but do sound disapproving, and turn your back and ignore her for a few minutes.

Resume your activity, and repeat the next time she bites. After three times in one petting or play session, stop, tell her know, and walk away from her and ignore her.

It will take time, but with consistency and patience she can be trained not to bite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
belly , bite , biting , cats , fun , funny , girl , happy , hey , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , love , mess , paw , person , pet , play , playing , problem , scratching , spayed , stop , type , wash , water

Sponsored Cat Links