It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2011   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Nipping it in the bud

Queen Eva has recently formed a habit of scratching on the corner of the bed springs. This is not something I want to encourage, haha, especially with a new couch coming. There are plenty of other choices for her scratching pleasure.

So I installed some damage control. So far it's worked, and she has not gone to the other corner...yet. If she does I will put cardboard there too. Practice for the new couch, I will probably have to do something like this for that too, at first.

I simply opened a box completely and tucked the flaps under the mattress to hold it in place.

I put a little packing tape over the hole there in the corner of the cardboard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-08-2011   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
vanakin is on a distinguished road

Thats pretty darn smart. Hopefully that will work....They can be such little stinkers....Anakin loves to chew on cords so I have cord covers on everything.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2011   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My cats have always been trained to scratch on their own furniture, though the carpet is a bit tugged on I have to admit.

I have been very very lucky about not having any cord chewers. It was one of the reasons, before Queen Eva came, that I wasn't planning on any more kittens, so I wouldn't ever have to worry about it, again.

So Ive been extremely careful with her, to not ever play with anything that looks like an electrical cord, and to provide plenty of other things to chew. Same as I did with Tolly when he was a kitten.

When I was in my early twenties I got a job in a vet clinic. I started at the front desk, but the vets seemed to think I would train up as a good tech. But I was so depressed every night after work I went home and sat down and cried for a half hour every night.

The second week I was there I got a call to come in early, there were some emergencies. There was a young couple with a tiny kitten, and the little baby had been electrocuted from chewing a wire. I'll never get the sight of that wee baby out of my head. The couple were devastated and heart broken but it was the kitten that ripped my heart out. I quit that day.

Anyway I have a huge admiration for people who work in the field. It's a rough one. Like you, Terri.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-09-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Unread 01-09-2011   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Well thank u gail. Some days are very rough and I have a very hard time with cat euthanasias. Usually my coworkers dont let me assist with them but if I am close with the owners which I am with several I will hug them and say goodbye and reassure them. That decision is never easy. I have seen a few really sad ones that still upset me. I had an easier time with watching someone die in front of me after being shot or hit by a car then I have with cat euthanasia. As far as anakin my older computer shorted out and when I took it apart I looked at the cord and to my amazement it is with the grace of god that anakin lived. He has destroyed a few appliances prior to the covers when i hadnt known. Aftet the computer incident I checked all the appliances and made sure all were covered. He is such a little devil and a mommas boy. Here are some pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg covers 2.jpg (17.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg covers.jpg (19.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg destruction.jpg (13.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg part 2.jpg (21.8 KB, 12 views)
Unread 01-09-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My gosh that's scary! Those pictures sent me scurrying around my apartment checking wires, maybe she was chewing without me realizing, but everything seems to be intact.

I had not yet been involved in euthanasia in my short stint in the veterinary field. What hurt me the most was the cats that were there for surgeries or recovering or what have you. It broke my heart to see them so frightened, or in pain, I couldn't separate my feeling from it all the suffering. I also had a hard time with pets who were obviously not properly cared for.

I have this inability to keep my distance from things. Even in forums I have a hard time, and periodically have to take long breaks, because I get so overwhelmed with worry over other people's pets.

So....as for the scratching, I have never had any trouble training my cats not to scratch furniture and guiding them to use their own things to scratch on. They have plenty of things, there are more pieces of cat scratching furniture than human in this apartment, but with Queen Eva branching out onto my box springs I think it may be time to bring in something new for her, for them.

I've got a new couch coming in a few weeks and I don't want them thinking THAT is their new scratcher, so I'm going to get them a new scroll scratcher and another curved card board scratcher, right at the same time the couch comes. Hope it works.

please read this first
Unread 01-09-2011   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

When I brought Topaz and Emerald home, they used to scratch the walls, the rug, and my furniture. I showed them the various scratching posts and put catnip on them to lure them over and it worked. When Magic and Mr. Midnight were kittens they used to chew on electric cords and I bought something called bitter apple that's meant for cats and I wiped it on all the cords and it kept them away because they didn't like the bitter taste.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-09-2011   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

The catnip trick worked well for me when I have brought home scratchers. Anakin likes the bitter apple. God that cat is a little fart.....
Unread 01-10-2011   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanakin View Post
The catnip trick worked well for me when I have brought home scratchers. Anakin likes the bitter apple. God that cat is a little fart.....
Some cats are just contrary aren't they? That's like my Tolly boy, he LOVES vicks vaporub. Not to eat, but the smell. He did try to eat it once, boy that was awful.

I was rubbing it into a muscle on my calf and he came over all excited to sniff, before I could stop him he took a long loving lick.

My gosh, he went flying around the room drooling and just flying around. I finally caught up to him and wiped his mouth out best I could. I thought it was over, but then he went to have a wash as cats do, and it turned out there was some on his paw too, so the flying was repeated. Geesh.

please read this first

Tags
apartment , baby , box , boy , car , carpet , cat , catnip , cats , chewing , computer , depressed , fur , furniture , hey , home , hurt , kittens , lucky , mat , night , pictures , play , queen , sad , scary , scratch , scratching , scratching furniture , smart , training , upset , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links