It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-18-2011   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

chantingbuddha is on a distinguished road
Default New Kitty

Hi. I am new to the forum and needing some help. I recently got a new Siamese cat and am having a few problems. He is warming up to his new house it seems, but last night he used the bathroom twice in the living room. I have shown him where the litter box is. I have another cat as well so I have sat up two litter boxes. I have shown him both boxes. He isn't interested. The person I got him from said he is litter boxed trained. I took his poop and put it inside the litter box and showed him. He just jumped out.
He is getting neutered on Feb 28. I am in fear of him spraying the house. That is something I do NOT want to happen. The person I got him from said he is 3 months, but he is huge. I don't know why she would lie about it, but I don't know. So, if he is really 3 months old I don't know.
Any advice on what I can do to make him use the litter box instead of the floor?
Thanks!
Jonathan
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-18-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum, congratulations on your new family member.

It could be territorial marking, or stress or illness.

Is it poop or pee that he is doing outside of the litter box, or both?

If he is peeing outside of the box, the first thing that needs to be done is to have him to the vet and get a urinalysis done. Urinary tract infections hurt, and males can block suddenly, once blocked the cat will die within 24 hours without emergency treatment.

Did you buy him or adopt him? If you bought him from a backyard breeder or kitten mill they may have lied about his age because they think most people want kittens.

If it is poop, it may be a territorial issue, most cats don't really need much "training" when it comes to litter boxes.

Did you see the environment he was living in before he came to you? If it was dirty he may have gotten out of the habit of using a box because he didn't like using a dirty litter box.

How long has he been with you?

Sorry for all the questions but the more info I have the better I can help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-18-2011   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi Gail,
Thanks for your response. I apprecaite it. To be honest, I've had him one day. I know that is silly that I am posting so soon, but I just needed some advice to get in the right direction. I did not buy him. He was free. The place he was in smelled so bad. It was horrible. I fear of my home smelling like that. He actually still smells like their apartment. I just wiped him down in hopes it may help remove the smell. His urine smells SO bad. What causes a cats urine to smell 3 times as bad as it normally does?
While I was gone earlier, I left him in the laundry room downstairs which is where his litter box is. I noticed he used it while I was gone. Maybe this helped. I am just so worried about the smell. If it's one thing I cannot handle is an odd smell when you walk into my home. Everyone compliments on how well my home smells and I'd like to keep it that way.
As I said before he goes to the vet on the 28th. That was their soonest appointment.
Do some cats just have a foul smell? It just seems to keep lingering.
Thanks again for your help.
Unread 02-18-2011   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

I guess my reply did not post so I will write it again.
I did not get him from a breeder. He was free. While I was out today, I left him in the laundry room where his litter box is and when I returned I noticed it was used. This cat has the worst smelling urine I've ever smelled. Does that indicate a problem? The person I got him from had a horrible smelling apartment. It was so foul smelling. I fear my house to smell like that. He even smells like her apartment...Do some cats have stronger smells than others?

I appreciate your reply.

Last edited by chantingbuddha; 02-18-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: did not post first time
Unread 02-18-2011   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Tom cat pee is the most horrible pungent smell, and that is what you are probably smelling. If that is the case, this cat is at least six months old, and possibly older.

Can you move the neuter date up?

It may just be the place he was at before did not keep the litter boxes clean, so he has gotten in the habit of avoiding them, but I am still concerned that he may have a urinary tract infection. As I said before this is very serious in a male cat and he may need veterinary attention now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-18-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I'm not able to move the date up. That is there first available day. I wish I could do it tomorrow! I read on another website that if a cat had been eating "Science Diet" cat food, this could possibly make his urine smell real bad. This is the food she was feeding him before I got him. He is not eating that here though.
Unread 02-18-2011   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

It's most likely just the tom cat pee smell.

The idea that science diet would make a cat's pee smell bad is hogwash, pay no attention to it, LOL. It's not a very good food though, your cats should be on a canned diet.

Just this: watch him very closely when he pees. If you see any one of these:

Straining to pee

Squatting for a long time with nothing coming out

squatting over and over

small dots of pee instead of large amounts

blood in the urine

Get him to the vet immediately.

How is he behaving otherwise?

Is he getting along with your other cat?

please read this first
Unread 02-18-2011   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

They are slowly getting to know each other. I think overtime they will get a long great but for right now they are slowly making friends, lol.
Well I will keep an eye on him. My downstairs laundry room smells terrible
Is it true that viniger/water mix is good to use to remove odor?
Unread 02-18-2011   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I have read that vinegar is good to remove cat pee smell but I don't know for sure.

You definitely are going to need a special enzymatic cleaner. Enzymatic means it breaks down bacteria. Even if you can't smell it any more, cats will be able to, unless you use an enzymatic cleaner.

yes, tom cat pee is a very very terrible smell. I'm sorry you have to wait 10 more days. If you have to keep him confined to one room until then, no one would blame you for it.

please read this first
Unread 02-18-2011   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Hi Gail,
Well I just used a carpet cleaner on the two spots where he peed. It seem to make the smell worse! I guess all that hot water mixed with it really brought out the smell. I had to use the carpet cleaner machine on it because the two spots where right in front of the couch and every time we sat down we could smell it.
Do you think the steam cleaner is going to help?
Also, my partner is very very loving of cats. The other cat we have is his "baby" she has shown unhappiness towards him since the new cat has been here. He is worried his cat will no longer want anything to do with him. Do you think she will come around? Every time he picks her up she hisses at him. He is so upset. He loves her so much and does not want the bond between them broken. Any thoughts?

Tags
advice , age , another cat , apartment , box , breeder , carpet , cat , cats , clean , confined , diet , dry , eating , eye , family , food , hey , home , house , hurt , infection , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , night , not eating , pee , peeing , person , poop , problems , siamese , silly , territorial , training , urine

Sponsored Cat Links