It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-23-2011   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road
Default playing rough

Mikey is now the same size as jonesy but a lot heavier and much bigger teeth and claws, i think the play fighting is getting a bit rough for jonesy and she doesn't seem to be playing with him as much as she used to. She likes chasing games but he wants to wrestle a lot, i know he is young and might grow out of this but he keeps grabbing her round neck from behind and really kicking her hard in the back. She is lying down in a submissive way when he is in this mood but he still jumps on her and he is trying to bite her bum and back legs a lot, im feeling a bit sorry for jonesy because she can be a bit slow on her feet at time cos of meds and when she tries to jump away from him she is panicking and falling over.

Apart from this they get on fine so dont know if it will become a problem.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-23-2011   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It does sound like he is being a bit too rough with her. I had a similar situation when I adopted Mazy.

Tolly was 8 years old and Mazy was 6 months old. But Tolly was used to playing with little old lady cats and he was always very gentle with them. so when Mazy came and she was really rough, thumping him to the floor so hard the apartment would shake I was very concerned. Tolly also takes phenobarbital, as you know.

Tolly toughened up in a hurry though. It does not sound like Jonesy is the type to hold her own and push back.

My advice is to first, play with Jonesy as much as you possibly can yourself, to help him burn off all that kitten energy. Since he likes to tussle, get him a bigger stuffed animal he can wrap himself around and bunny kick. Also, a rolled up newspaper may appeal to him, because that is very satisfying to kick and shred, so my cats have told me.

The more he can take his aggression out on inanimate objects, the less he will bother Jonsey.

Second, and I don't normally advise this, but if you think Jonsey is not going to fight back, and is being hurt, I would swoop in and scoop her away from him when he is at his roughest. I said I don't normally advise this, because cats usually can work things out for themselves. But Jonesy is special.

Or wait.....you might first try distracting him, when he goes for her, jump in and give him the rolled up newspaper instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-23-2011   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

yeah gail im reluctant to physically split them up when they are wrestling, i have some cuddly toys that i have ribbons tied to them, and i get mikey to tumble around with them but he cant resist jumping on jonesy, dont think he is proper biting her because she doesnt hiss or growl at him (except for once when he bit the boney part of her leg) but i suppose he has a lot of learning to do as he's only eight months old.

It worries me a bit because by the time he is full grown he is going to be much bigger and stronger than jonesy.
Unread 04-24-2011   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

My first thought was the distracting him away from her, giving him something to play with. Or better yet use an interactive toy so you can make him run around and jump, burn off that energy!
There is the option of getting him his own playmate. If you could handle a third kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-24-2011   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskat View Post
My first thought was the distracting him away from her, giving him something to play with. Or better yet use an interactive toy so you can make him run around and jump, burn off that energy!
There is the option of getting him his own playmate. If you could handle a third kitty.
yeah kscat i play with mikey loads, he just enjoys playing with jonesy more me! She does like having play sessions with him cos she's only just turned two at beginning of the month so she is still a young cat herself, think its just that he doesnt realise his own strength, as for getting another kitten, these two are enough to handle, lol. With jonesy having epilepsy she is quite high maintainence so thats not an option, im hoping when mikey grows out of his kitten stage things will calm down!
Unread 05-02-2011   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Germina badenhorst is on a distinguished road

Hi Cool Cat - don't stress too much! Some cats like to do the rough play. My cat, Kitterkat usely play with my dogs, and can be very rough and 'aggresive'. Eventually they will sort themselves out. That is also the way they bond with each other. Good luck!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Germina badenhorst For This Useful Post:

Tags
adopted , advice , age , aggression , animal , apartment , bite , biting , calm , cat , cats , claws , cool , dogs , fight , fighting , games , growl , hey , hiss , hurt , jumping , kitten , kitty , play , playing , problem , toys , type

Sponsored Cat Links