It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-09-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
CandylzDandy is on a distinguished road
Default Need Serious Help For my cat please!

Ok so this might be a long explanation. I got my oldest cat 14 yrs ago, who was always sweet and loving more of a lap cat. I then decided to get him a friend 2 yrs later. My new cat he loved, he would baby him, and if he meowed he would go lay by him when he couldnt get to the bed or somewhere high.

Anyway after he grew up he was always mean to the older cat and took the alpha role. I got a kitten a year later who he never liked but tolerated. Eventually a few yrs ago I did take in 2 more cats that the neighborhood kids werent treating well and he wasnt too happy with it but again he tolerated the youngest ones. He was always the 'alpha' and bully...but then the cat I got a year after him kind of fought him on that. The problem cat would get jealous when any other cat got my attention and would literally come up from behind wrap his arms around one of the older cats and slam them to the ground causing a fight. (We called him the thug but love him to pieces)

Anyhow about 2 yrs ago we got a dog. He absolutely Hates the dog...I kept him out with the dog anyway to get used to him...he eventually stopped eating, stopped using the litter box and went wherever he pleased (or where he could hide from the dog) I gave in as he dropped about a pound or 2 and let him into my bedroom.

Now the problem is he has not left the bedroom for 2 yrs he refuses although sometimes he meows at the door as if he wants out but when I open the door he just stares out waiting to be pounced on. When I place him outside my door he stays beside it and when the other cats come up to inspect him he attacks, then the dog will stay in the hallway a few feet away basically keeping him trapped and he is not happy and as soon as my door is opened he runs right back in. How can I get him to come out without being so afraid? The kitty a year younger who became alpha is passed away, the only problem now is the dog and maybe my girl cat shes a bit of a queen.

I spoiled him too much its been 2 yrs and I really want him to be able to go back out again and not live in my room. Any advice or tips? Please help I am starting to wonder if he needs medication, he also acts like he has something part wild in him and is a huge long kitty. I don't know what to do.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-10-2012   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Your cat has come to know your room as the only safe place he has. All he knows of "outside" is being tormented. I would stay in hiding also! IF it really is safe now, he will have to find out in his own time. If something happens to scare him, it will set everything waaaay back! Be absolutely certain that nothing is going to scare him first, then you could just leave the door open so he can come and go at will. It is up to you to guarantee his safety!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-11-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
CandylzDandy is on a distinguished road

Hi and thank you for the response. The problem is the dog she is curious, she doesnt attack my cats she wants to play with them they mostly ignore her and hiss at her well only one hisses now when she gets close. She does like chasing and playing with the other 2 they dont mind her just jump up somewhere when they get annoyed but shes mostly a calm dog and only gets excited once in a while to play like that. (Shes a pekingese so mostly calm and proud)

I have thought of maybe putting the dog outside and slowly letting him come out of my room, although it doesnt stop the other cats from wanting to see him which agitate him...he used to be the bully and alpha I am at a loss of what to do. Maybe put the dog outside and the cats in another room and let him out? I dont leave my door open since I dont want the dog getting in but maybe I can do it that way. But how would I work in the meeting with the dog when he does start getting more comfortable to get them to remeet? Ah so confusing.
Unread 05-15-2012   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I think you have a great idea! Let him explore by himself first. Do you have lots of high places for him to escape from the dog if he gets scared? Let him get comfortable, then maybe one at a time introductions. Just be sure that all interaction is supervised for now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , annoyed , art , baby , box , bully , cat , cats , dog , fight , girl , great , happy , hiding , hiss , kitten , kitty , litter , litter box , loss , loving , new cat , play , problem , queen , scared , tips , wild

Sponsored Cat Links