It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Pambie is on a distinguished road
Default Bully Cat

We have 5 Burmese cats.
Four of them are aged between 14 and 16, and then we have one (female) who is 6.
One of the older female cats has always been very timid.
The youngest one is very confident but has never shown any aggression to the older cats. She is very playful and seems afraid of nothing.
Recently she has started bullying the timid cat and is making her life a misery. We don't know what to do.
She chases her and when the older one tries to defend herself the younger one becomes very aggressive.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We don't want to re-home either cat but don't know what else we can do.
Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-05-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

A more dominant cat is more likely to harass a cat where a weakness is present. Often when there is a change in behavior, there is a health issue. I would start with the senior cat being bullied. She may be sick, and the younger cat senses this and is reacting to it.

Cats in their teens are subject to many illnesses. As you may know cats hide illness instinctively, often by the time it is discovered that the cat is sick, the cat has been ill for a very long time.

I recommend you take the senior girl to the vet for a complete check up including weight, blood pressure, blood work including thyroid, and urinalysis. Pay close attention to her eating and litter box habits to see if you notice any changes you can mention to the vet, too.

If senior kitty checks out okay, bring the younger cat in. Aggressiveness can also be an indication of illness or pain, because a cat sick or hurting feels vulnerable. I know it doesn't seem likely that younger one is sick, especially because she is only targeting the one cat. That's why I recommend taking the senior cat in first.

Installing some feliway plug in diffusers can help reduce stress and territorial feelings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
aggression , aggressive , art , behavior , box , bully , bullying , burmese , cat , cats , eating , female , girl , health , home , kitty , litter , litter box , present , senior , senior cat , sick , stress , suggestions , territorial , timid , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links