It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

redrangermom is on a distinguished road
Default deciphering cat problems

I have a 5 year old feral cat that we rescued when a male cat attacked her and the mother abandoned her when she was about 1 month old. She is a true scaredy cat! Everything makes her jump, but she has her safe places and was doing fine. Well, we got a puppy. However, she did not freak out. She can always get away from him. She isn't crazy about him but does tolerate him and even drinks from his water bowl. Everything was going ok until we had to go out of town and we had to leave her. When we got home we discovered that she had pooped in all the areas that the puppy had an accident(I guess remarking her territory). Also, her litter box had not been used at all. It's been a week since we got back and she still hasn't used her litter box. I suspect this is more of a stress issue than medical since it began the day we left. I know she is a little stressed but how do I get her to use her litter box? I don't won't to confine her to retrain her or take her away from the family or deny her the safe place which is under my son's bed. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2012   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

First you need to clean every spot that was peed/pooped on with an enzyme type cleaner to truly rid all odor. They smell what we don't! A check up by a vet would be a good idea. The stress could have brought on a urinary tract infection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-05-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

catsthelife is on a distinguished road

yes i agree you will definitely need to be rid of all the odor where your puppy and cat have left messes. And one of my cats is a very nervous cat too, she hides whenever we have visitors etc, but given time of being used to you all and your puppy hopefully she will come round.
But i think maybe she might feel she doesn't have a section of the house that is her own, maybe the puppy goes everywhere and she feels that even her litter box area isn't her own and for her only. Cats are very territorial so try out some ideas and see if she comes round

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-06-2012   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

The territory issue is a big one. Cat furniture/trees, shelves, cabinets, etc would be wonderful. Does she have a favorite room you could put a baby gate in the doorway of, so she could have a room to herself?

Tags
box , cat , cat problems , cats , clean , crazy , family , feral , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , infection , litter , litter box , male , medical , nervous , problem , problems , puppy , smell , stress , suggestions , territorial , type , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links