It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-31-2012   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

wheresthelove16 is on a distinguished road
Default One cat went to the vet and now other cat doesn't recognize him... help?

My two male (neutered) cats were BEST FRIENDS, and super friendly and tame. But yesterday we had to take one of them to the vet...

When we brought vet-cat home, house-cat started hissing/growling at him.

I tried encouraging vet-cat to clean himself, so maybe he'd end up cleaning off the unfamiliar smell and house-cat would recognize him again, but that didn't work.

Then I tried rubbing a paper towel on the gums of house-cat, and then rubbing that paper towel on vet-cat, but that didn't work either.

So we separated them overnight (we kept one in the bedroom, and one in the living room, but they could still smell each other/interact under the door). Today I re-introduced them, and house-cat is STILL being aggressive: he's following vet-cat, and growling/hissing at him, almost antagonizing him.

And even worse: house-cat is starting to hiss/growl/snap at ME... and he's NEVER done that before. I'm afraid to go near him.

Any suggestions of how we can get these two cats to get along again??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-31-2012   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Perfectly normal. and should solve itself in another day or two as the vet smell fades.

Cats function primarily by sense of smell. So since the kitty who stayed home doesn't recognize the smell of the kitty who went to the vet, she thinks he is a stranger and is being naturally territorial.

However, there are some things you can do.There is the Vanilla Trick. I have never used this method, but I know people who swear by it. Put a tiny drop of vanilla (cooking, NOT perfume) on the chin and root of the tail of each cat. This levels the playing field, so to speak, making them smell the same.

Another thing you can do is take a shirt you have worn, rub it on the cat who is fussing, then rub it on the cat who was at the vet, to get your smell and the other cat's smell back onto him.

Provide at least two litter boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

belle12407 is on a distinguished road

Never had it happen to me, but I am sure it will all work out. They have their ways
Unread 08-04-2012   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Any update?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
aggressive , cat , cat's , cats , clean , cleaning , friendly , friends , growling , hey , hissing , home , house , kitty , litter , litter boxes , male , playing , smell , suggestions , territorial , vet

Sponsored Cat Links