It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

wilspeak is on a distinguished road
Angry Request Help & Advice my cat urinating on MY bed

Hello Fellow Cat lovers, I have a 4yr old female house cat named (Sassy), that I raised from a kitten. I care about sassy and donot want to have to put her out of the house. recenty sassy has started to URinate on me and my wife"s bed(covers). I wash and change the sheets and covers, get after sassy and tell her shes a BAD GIRL! a couple days later sassy PEES ON THE BED AGAIN, and if i dont find out right after its done, I find out when it starts to stink, and that really makes me MAD. My wife wants me to put sassy OUT! IM trying not to do that because sassy may not beable to handle the change of environment at her age can anyone PLEASE give me some advice Im trying to save her life THANK YOU :*)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-17-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Sassy is sick, that is why she is doing this. Please don't yell at her, she can't help it. She is telling you, the only way she knows how, that she is sick.

When cats pee on the bed it almost always mean they have a urinary tract infection. These hurt very much and do not get better on their own. If left untreated they get worse, and the kidneys become affected.

So, take Sassy to the vet to get her the help she needs.

Make sure the litter box is kept very clean at all times.

Feed her a good quality WET diet. If you feed dry food there may be more than just bacteria in her urine, she may also have crystals causing this problem.

She is spayed?

Here is some good info on urinary tract health in cats.

http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

But please, do take Sassy to the vet. I'm sure she must be very uncomfortable. Yelling at her only causes her more stress, which will make her illness worse.

PS you are right that putting her outside is not the answer and she most likely would not survive. Your wife hopefully just doesn't understand and is not lacking compassion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-17-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 02-17-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for responding back to me. Sassy is a very sweet cat. She wouldn't hurt a fly. That's why I was worried about this kind of behavior, on the subject of food, I stopped feeding her wet meaty good because she was not eating it, it would sit until it I had to throw it out. On the other hand sassy eats nothing but Dry cat food. Its not that I won't feed her wet meaty food. But she won't eat it or throws it up all the time. So we stopped feeding her that. Sassy is not spaded , My wife told me to get that done. I will. I would hate to see her get very sick. I really appreciate the help and advice. I would like to (PM) you if that's OK.
Unread 02-17-2013   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Im a happy that sassy had only been eating straight dry food for about a year when I read the link that you posted in your response, I then went brought some wet meaty cat food, and put out some water lighty mixed with some chicken broth . I was surprised that sassy ate the wet food quickly with no problems. We will take sassy to the VET and get her checked out and spaded. I thank you for any advice and help

Last edited by wilspeak; 02-17-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Unread 02-17-2013   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The fact that she is not spayed doesn't change my answer that she needs a vet, and right away, but it does add more to my thoughts on the possible problems she is having.

An unspayed female cat is at very high risk for pyometra (a very serious infection of the uterus) and uterine cancer. Every heat cycle she has increases her risk of these diseases. Pyometra is often fatal, as is uterine cancer. Both diseases are preventable by spaying.

Every heat cycle a cat has also increases the risk of breast (mammary gland) cancer.

Going into heat every few weeks for four years is very hard on Sassy. It's hard on her body, and it is hard on her emotional and mental state.

There is still a chance that she may have a urinary tract infection. But there is also the possibility that she is starting a pyometra. Or it may simply be that she is peeing on the bed out of frustration from all the heat cycles. (the only other reason would be, if the litter boxes are dirty)

I'm glad you've been reading the link I provided, there is much good information on the whole site, the site is written by a veterinarian who has made feline nutrition her life's work.

Changing Sassy's diet should be done very slowly, that will help prevent tummy upsets that cause vomiting and diarrhea. I can help you with that and will be happy to help.

However the very first thing to do is to get Sassy to the vet.

Call tomorrow and don't let them put you off for "a week or two". Stress that you are sure she is sick because she is peeing on your bed, something she has never done before. Vets leave openings for emergencies and sick visits.

I can tell you love Sassy very much. I am curious as to why you have not have her spayed before now. She will be a much happier kitty once it is done (if she does have a urinary tract infection, UTI, the vet may want to clear that up before doing the spay), and then you can work on improving her diet, which I will help with, and you and she will have many more happy healthy years together.

PS I don't think you will be able to send me a private message, you have to have a certain number of posts first. But I will help you and Sassy as much as I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 02-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Unread 02-17-2013   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

You know, its all my fault sassy stayed inside so I wasnt worried about her having kittens, but that wasnt the right way for me to have been thinking. Im glad that I asked for some advice because I really didnt know. My wife told me to get sassy spaded but it was put off I didnt think it was hurting her and I was wrong! I will definitley get her to the local veterinary clinic. There is no excuse for letting sassy get sick or to stay sick and not try to help and treat her. I am responsible for her well being , I will take care of this. I thank you you and accept all the advice that I can get
The Following User Says Thank You to wilspeak For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-11-2015   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

lauradiant40 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2 yr old tortious/maine coon who would pee everywhere...EVERYWHERE!! while in heat .. after i took her to the vet and had her spayed she quit...not totally but now its only when her litter box is too full.. i have 3 cats total..
Unread 11-11-2015   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradiant40 View Post
I have a 2 yr old tortious/maine coon who would pee everywhere...EVERYWHERE!! while in heat .. after i took her to the vet and had her spayed she quit...not totally but now its only when her litter box is too full.. i have 3 cats total..

Litter boxes should never be allowed to get "too full". This causes many health problems in cats including urinary tract disorders and constipation.

For three cats you should have at least 3 litter boxes and poop and pee should be scooped out of these boxes every day, at least twice a day.

I'm sure you would not like to have to step in feces and urine very time you need to use the bathroom. Cats are very clean creatures and don't like it either.

please read this first
Unread 11-12-2015   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

lauradiant40 is on a distinguished road

I do have one per cat.. "too full" to her is not full to us.. but I wouldn't expect you to know that since i failed to include that
Unread 11-12-2015   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradiant40 View Post
I do have one per cat.. "too full" to her is not full to us.. but I wouldn't expect you to know that since i failed to include that
"Too full" to her is what should matter to you, you aren't the one using it. .

Cats don't like dirty litter boxes and it is very unhealthy for them. Keep them clean.

please read this first

Tags
advice , age , behavior , box , care , cat , cat lovers , cats , clean , constipation , diet , dry , dry food , eating , environment , female , food , girl , heat , hey , house , hurt , infection , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , lovers , not eating , nutrition , pee , problems , save , sick , spayed , uti , vet , vomiting , wash , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links