It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

TortieLuv is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-Social Tortie Wants to Live in the Bathroom

Hello,

I adopted a tortie cat about 4 weeks ago. I have four other cats that have run of my house but my new tortie doesn't want anything to do with them and would prefer to live her days in my bathroom.

Every morning and evening for a few hours I make her stay out of the bathroom in an attempt to help her get used to her environment and the other cats, however, she sits by the bathroom door and wants nothing to do with being outside of the bathroom. She hisses at the other cats and they look at her like they are quite puzzled by her ongoing hostility.

I've tried introducing one by one individually by crating and that doesn't seem to work either.

Will it just take time?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Let her live in the bathroom if she wants. Forcing her to socialize when she isn't ready is only going to delay her acclimation.

A month is a very short time for a cat to get used to so many changes. Imagine suddenly losing your home and family. She has no idea what has happened to her. Let her progress at her own speed.

Leave the door open a little so she can come out if she wants. Talk to her, spend time in there with her but don't force yourself on her. I mean, don't try to pick her up or touch her if she doesn't want to be touched.

It can take months sometimes for cats to adjust.

What's her story?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-04-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Chatty
catlover13 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hi,
This is the first time I own a Calico cat. Her name is Jewl and she 1 year and 7 month old. She doesn't seem to be active at all. She just sleep, eat, peed or poop and rarely want to play. I do try to spend time with her and pet her. She doesn't seem to be interested in any of the toys I got her but the yarn. Laser sometime. What can I do?

Catlover13
Unread 10-05-2013   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I would take your kitty to the vet, this is not normal activity level for a cat that young.

What are you feeding her?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 10-05-2013   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Chatty
catlover13 is on a distinguished road

Gail,
I'm feeling her Science Diet and a little bit of wet. I started the wet food today she seem to like it. I guess I have to play with her like with the laser or yarn. She goes back to the vet on 10-10 for a follow up.

catlover13
Unread 10-05-2013   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Get Jewl off the Science Diet cereal and feed her all wet cat food. Read the ingredients of that dry food it's horrible for her. Cats do not need corn or other grains, and they are very bad for her, and dry food in general is bad for cats.

On an all wet diet she will feel much better and be much healthier in the long term.

I'm not sure I understand why Jewl has a "follow up" appointment. Do you mean you have already taken her to the vet for this? What was said/done then?

More detail would be helpful to me.

please read this first

Tags
adopted , allergies , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dry , dry food , environment , family , food , hey , home , house , kitty , laser , loving , morning , pet , play , poop , sleep , social , socialize , story , stray , toys , vet , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links