It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-10-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

jomcandrew is on a distinguished road
Question She won't pee in litter box

Hi, I have a 12 year old long hair tortoise female cat named Sassy. She is getting progressively worse at using the litter box. She has NEVER covered her poop, knowing her not wanting to get her long haired paws in the li tter. Before she got so old and heavy she used to balanace on the corner to go. Too funny! But she has begun not peeing in the box. I would say on and off about a year. I remember when it started I had left a long handled dust pan in the room and went to get it and she had peed in it. My vet said sometimes when they get older they don't want to pee and poop in the same litter. So we got two! Sometimes she will pee in it and sometimes not. We have an old house and pulled up the rug a few years ago and it is an old wood painted floor. Let me tell you they could use pee and a stripper! When she pees and I clean it up it winds up peeling the paint. So now she pees on bare wood. I have tried "cleaners" to mask scent but no go. Yesterday we were having company and we wiped it up, I cleaned both litter boxes and we poured straight bleach on the floor and mopped it. Thankfully no smell and we thought that she would use the litter boxes. Well this morning I went in and checked and she pooped in the litter and peed on the floor! We are at a loss..I said maybe we should by plywood and put it down and let her pee on that and then get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions that can help. She doesn't go outside so I don't take her to the vet as often as if she did. She seems healthy and has no problem except she has a "bitchy" attitude which she has always had!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-10-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

The first step is to take your senior cat to the vet and have blood work and urinalysis done. At her age this kind of litter box avoidance often indicates illness.

Kidney disease, urinary tract infections, diabetes are all common, especially for overweight cats, as you mentioned your cat is.

In addition to the vet (which should not be put off) keep both litter boxes very clean. Make sure the sides of them are low enough for her to get in and out of easily, in case of arthritis. Feed her a canned only diet.

But get her in to the vet for blood work and urine check right away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 11-10-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-10-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

jomcandrew is on a distinguished road

Will do that. What I find odd is that she doesn't have a problem pooping in the box, which means she gets in it find. But peed on the floor.
Unread 11-10-2013   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Well, it may hurt her to pee, and she will blame the litter box for the pain, and so avoid the litter box, trying to pee elsewhere int he hopes that the pain won't come..

Urinary tract infections HURT, and often the first indication a cat has a UTI is when they stop using the litter box to pee.

UTIs do not get better on their own and left un treated can affect the kidneys. In addition, a UTI can be an indication that the kidneys are already failing.

An overweight cat is more prone to urinary tract infections than a cat of a healthy weight. they are also prone to many other diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes, and fatty liver disease if they stop eating for any reason.

After her check up and treatment, I strongly urge you to get her on a healthy diet weight reduction plan. You must be very careful that she does not lose weight too quickly, it is extremely dangerous for a cat to lose more than a couple of ounces a week.

If you are feeding a dry diet, you will need to transition her off all dry food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:

Tags
age , box , cat , clean , diabetes , diet , dry food , eating , female , food , fun , funny , healthy , hey , house , hurt , litter , litter box , litter box problems , litter boxes , loss , morning , overweight , pee , peeing , peeing on floor , poop , problem , senior cat , smell , suggestions , transition , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links