It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

perduettrouve is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help, My Boyfriend's Cat Pees Everywhere When I Visit

Hi, I hope someone can help me. My boyfriend just adopted his parents 13 year old cat about a week ago. Clearly she's still getting used to her new environment, but apparently she had been doing fairly well with the transition. That is, until I visited yesterday. The cat has never met me before, but being a cat lover and owner myself, I immediately tried to make friends with her. I let her smell my hand and rub against it before I patted her, and she purred when I did that. She even purred when I picked her up.

Some time later, we noticed her starting to crouch in various corners of the apartment. This quickly led to the realization that she was peeing. The first theory was that perhaps she was upset that there were several guests over that evening and that stress of too many people might have been causing her to mark her territory. However, that was quickly discarded as this was not the first time more than one visitor had been over since she moved in.

The next theory, which seems most likely, is that she really didn't take to me invading her space Maybe it was the way I approached her, but I think it's probably that she smells my cats on my clothes. I want to be able to visit and not make the cat pee everywhere, so does anyone have any advice for what I can do to fix this? I read about stuff to spray in areas you don't want cats peeing... should I just spray that all over me??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-05-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I think the most likely thing is that the senior kitty has a urinary tract infection. Especially since you said "crouching in corners" plural. A cat repeatedly crouching like that is trying to tell you she is sick.

There is also a possibility of other illness.

Stress causes illness in cats, especially senior cats, and this kitty, no matter how well she seems to be adapting, has experienced considerable stress. She's lost her home and her human, and is trying to adjust to a new place, there are strange people to get used to, besides the new home, and she's only been there a week.

The very first thing to do is to take the cat to the vet for a check up. The vet should do a urinalysis and take blood to evaluate the condition of her organs (especially kidneys) and other diseases (such as diabetes).

Feed her a canned diet and make sure her litter boxes are kept clean.

But, don't put the vet off. UTIs do not get better on their own, they get worse. And they HURT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 01-05-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-23-2014   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

aekdb5 is on a distinguished road

I had a cat years ago that was doing that, but that was after a move and I think it was just stress of the move. He finally stopped doing it after a bit,

Tags
adopted , advice , apartment , boyfriend , cat , cats , clean , diabetes , diet , environment , friends , hey , home , hurt , infection , kitty , litter , litter boxes , lost , mat , new home , peeing , senior , smell , stress , transition , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links