It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-14-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

scarlett71 is on a distinguished road
Default Severe aggression towards teen daughter in 2 yr old neutered male cat

I have a 2 yr old neutered male cat, Oliver, who was born outside to a feral mom, but we rescued him and brought him inside when approximately 4-5 weeks old.
He was a very sweet kitten and socialized easily after being brought inside.....He is a totally indoor cat and has been given a clean bill of health from our vet.
We also have 2 older spayed female cats in our house, and Oliver has never been aggressive towards them, and they tolerate him pretty well....When they don't want to play with him they just run away and hide.

The problem is Oliver's aggressive behavior towards my 14 yr old teen daughter.....In the past few months, he has attacked her several times, seemingly out of the blue for no reason at all.....The attacks were severe, causing deep scratches and puncture wounds....She was lucky and none of the bites git infected.

She knows the signs that he is about to attack and tries to ignore him and calmly walk away, but he still has gotten her 3 times....All the attacks have happened in her room.

My daughter and I know a great deal about cats and dogs since we volunteer and occasionally foster for a local rescue.

I think the aggressive attacks on my daughter are redirected aggression, but we cannot figure out what the triggers are, and I have never seen a cat attack for seemingly no reason at all, such as this one is doing.

I am at my wit's end and don't know what to do with Oliver at this point....He has no health problems that would cause this behavior, he has been examined by a vet to rule out any health problems...

Now I am very scared that he will attack her in her sleep and do damage, so I have been forced to confine him in our extra bedroom with the door closed until we can figure out this problem.

Any advice welcomed.....I am thinking of consulting an animal behaviorist, but thought I would ask here first, since I am a single mom and behaviorist fees aren't exactly cheap.

Thanks so much....

Last edited by scarlett71; 02-14-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-15-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Since this has just started I would be looking at changes in your daughter. Especially scent.

It could be something as subtle as hormonal changes, considering her age. But also look for more obvious things, the scent (perfume) she wears, her shampoo, skin lotion, anything that may change her scent and make her unrecognizable to him.

Even a friend she has been spending a lot of time with, in the friend's home, especially, and especially if the friend has cats or other pets.

Since you know cats, you know that scent is a huge part of how they operate. Since these attacks are focused on your daughter, I'm thinking something has changed about her personal scent.

Also I would suggest a check up for her (daughter) as cats have been known to be able to detect disease.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , age , aggression , aggressive , animal , behavior , bites , cat , cats , clean , dogs , female , feral , foster , great , health , hey , home , house , indoor , kitten , lucky , male , play , problem , problems , scared , sleep , spayed , vet

Sponsored Cat Links