It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-24-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

PersianLvr is on a distinguished road
Default Just Adopted a Cat... Worried about Behavior.

I adopted an 11 month old persian from the animal shelter I work for. She was relinquished by her previous owners because of divorce. Her previous owner didn't say she had any medical or behavior issues. Having to groom the cat was the only problem they expressed.

Our vet staff checked her out and she was spayed on 3/21. She had no obvious health issues aside from some matting and lack of appetite. She was also a bit nervous in her holding kennel, which is normal. She was only in the shelter about a week before I took her home. I've had her in my home for 3 days now...

When she first arrived, she seemed energetic. She roamed the entire apartment, found her new litter box, toys, food, ETC. She still wasn't interested in food, but she didn't hide from me or anything... she seemed quite playful. She purred and purred. She actually slept right by my pillow and purred all night too.

Yesterday morning I administered pain meds for her spay. I was directed to give them to her in the AM after breakfast. She wouldn't eat so I had to force feed her a little bit of wet food by syringe. After that, the meds kicked in and she was groggy for the rest of the day. She's been pretty lethargic and uninterested in socializing. She seems cranky and depressed. She still won't eat. She nibbled once and will drink some water at times, but turns her nose up to anything I try to give her. She even tried to hide out a few times. She's been trembling a bit, still purring though. I'm thinking she's cold (has a shaved coat) or seems incredibly nervous/scared. She jumps at any loud noises and seems easily startled. It's rather quiet in my home and she's the only pet, no kids either.

I don't know if I should be worried about her health. I'm wondering if this is normal behavior for a cat who was just introduced to a new home, along with just being spayed or if maybe she is ill.

Can someone define her behavior a bit? Maybe give me a bit of advice... This is my first cat.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-25-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

My guess is, this is a reaction to the pain meds. What was the medication?

After 4 days she really should no longer need any pain meds, I wouldn't give her any more.

Warm up her canned food a little to help entice her to eat it. (warming it makes it smellier). For long term health plan on keeping her on a canned diet all her life.

Congratulations to you on your new family member, and to her on finding a loving caring forever home!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-26-2014   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

Yes, what Acer said!
Keep a close eye on her incision. If she's not better by now, you might want to visit with the vet.
I was impressed with how quickly she felt comfortable with you. That is excellent!
How is she doing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-27-2014   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

PersianLvr is on a distinguished road

She's doing great now! She's eating and seems much happier than before. She plays and cuddles. She has warmed up to me even more over the past few days.

The vet sent me home with one dose of meloxicam. I think it was her meds. She's doing great now and seem much happier. I was just being a worried mom. Thanks!
Unread 03-27-2014   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

That is wonderful news!
Cats are incredibly talented at hiding pain, that is the reason we were very worried, and you were right to be! When a cat actually shows pain, or discomfort, there is something very wrong. I am so glad this ended so well!
Don't you ever stop being a watchful mom. It just means you are a very good mom!!

Tags
adopted , advice , animal , apartment , behavior , behavior issues , box , cat , cold , depressed , diet , eating , eye , food , found , groom , health , hey , hiding , home , kennel , litter , litter box , mat , morning , nervous , new home , night , nose , problem , scared , shelter , spayed , tale , toys , vet , water , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links