It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-19-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Catdogmom12 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please help me

My beautiful loving 2 year old kleo has had a peeing problem since she was a kitten. Throughout the past two years we have done everything. She goes months without and randomly I'll fin a wet spot on my bed. I have no idea what triggers this. Yesterday I "deep cleaned" my entire house. Especially around the "kitty" room. Mopped, ect... Then this morning I rolled out of bed to find a soaked kitty pee spot. Oh no! Again!? Really!? My patients is wearing thin. Does it have anything to do with cleaning the surrounding area of the room? Is she that sensitive?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-19-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It could be marking behavior..but I suspect it has more to do with stress. Some cats have a condition called idiopathic cystitis, which means they get an inflammation flare-up in their urinary tract when they are stressed.

I do have some questions for you, to help me get a better picture of what is going on.

Is she spayed?

Has she been declawed? (if she has that is probably the problem, pain, but I am hoping and praying she is not)

Has she had a urine culture done to rule out infection, or crystals? How long ago? Has she had any treatments, antibiotics or urine acidifiers?

What do you feed her?

Is she indoor only?

What kind of household do you live in? Quiet? Loud and chaotic? Kids?

What is she like when people come to the house?

Is she alone very often?

Do you have other pets and what are their relationships like?

What are you using to clean?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-20-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Catdogmom12 is on a distinguished road

I will go down the list one by one

Yes she is spayed

No she has all her front and back claws

She has been checked by a vet to rule out infection when she first started two years ago

She gets meow mix hard original blend always available and served friskies canned food twice a day but doesn't care for it as much as my other cat

She is indoors only

Household is quiet just my husband and I we have moved twice with her. Lived with my mother in law and finally into out own home. But she has been peeing since we first got her when we live in our apartment. May add we have another cat and a dog we got recently. She and the dog stay distant but she is finally venturing out. She has a "safe zone" the dog is not allowed up stairs. My other cat and the dog get along just fine. Not best friends but my other cat is very, how do I say "bitchy" she rules the show. Uses both liter boxes and doesn't let me dog forget who is boss. Both cats get along great they cuddle and clean each other everyday. Also 2 liter boxes in both ends of the home and two food and water bowls

She hates guests. Terrified. Even hates my husband when he is away for awhile

All I use is multi cleaner and swifter to mop

Hope this info helps! To add she is a total sweetie! Rolls over for me to rub her belly everyday. She is such a sweetie, sweetest cat I've ever know. Hope we can fix this
Unread 05-20-2014   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. I want to say right off that I am not a vet, but do belong to many cat boards and ahve read a ton about this problem. I have one cat with FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease) but have not ever experienced the litter box avoidance problem with her thank goodness.

This is what I think.

First, get rid of the Meow Mix. I recommend you eliminate dry all together. Dry food is very bad for cats in general, and for a cat with this kind of problem especially. The Meow Mix is, and please don't think I am judging because I am not, many people just don't realize how awful that food is, and others like it.

Cats are obligate carnivores, and are designed to get their moisture from their food. It's good you feed some canned, but you should get them on an all canned diet.

You may find, just eliminating the food that is so full of junk and chemicals, may make the difference. Diet plays a large role in behavior, including how a cat handles stress.

But I do think (and remember I am not a vet) Kleo is experiencing inflammation brought on by stress. When she is inflamed, it hurts to pee, and when it hurts to pee she blames the litter box for her pain.

In addition, cats will pee inappropriately as the only way they have to let their humans know something is wrong.

I would:

As I said, feed an all wet diet (are you open to raw feeding?) Try to avoid foods that contain grains. Lower carb foods are better, this usually means sticking to the pate styles. There is a page in a link I am going to post here that lists canned foods and their carbohydrate percentages. Cats need an acidic urine, and carbohydrates will raise the pH, causing a more alkaline urine,. this can cause inflammation.

Feeding on a schedule is better for both cats anyway.

Meat is naturally acidifying, so feed foods with identified meat sources (no "poultry meal")

Avoid fish. NO fish.

Add the supplement cosequin for cats to one meal a day to Kleo's food. Using this safe supplement for urinary tract disorders is a bit controversial, not because of safety, but whether it is really helpful or not. I believe it is, as does my vet. My FLUTD kitty takes a cosequin every day. You just open the capsule and sprinkle it into one small meal a day. It is an anti-iflammtory arthritis supplement that also is known to help with bladder issues.

Add more litter boxes. Use unscented litter. Be sure to keep them scrupulously clean.

Use non toxic cleaners. I recommend white vinegar for cleaning. For cleaning soiled areas, make a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Soak the area well, then blot until clean. Let dry, then rinse with clear water. Let dry and vacuum. The thing is, you've got to remove all scent, to prevent her returning to that spot. Even if you can't smell it, she may still be able to.

This is getting too long! If you have any questions I'll try to answer them.

One more thing

Read this site written by a veterinarian who has made it her life's work to understand feline nutrition:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

PS You probably already have done this but just in case: Make sure she always has access to a Safe Spot. Somewhere she can get away from visitors and the dog especially. Also, Make sure there are plenty of elevated spots around the home where she can stay out and about but still feel safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 05-20-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Tags
another cat , antibiotics , baking soda , beautiful , behavior , belly , bladder , car , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , diet , dog , dry food , food , hey , home , house , indoor , infection , kitten , kitty , literbox , loving , meow , morning , nutrition , pee , peeing , picture , problem , raw , spayed , stress , urine

Sponsored Cat Links