It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-26-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Paranoid
Shasmisha is on a distinguished road
Unhappy New Persian, VERY BAD BEHAVIOR

Hello everyone!

About 6 months ago, my mother came from Dominican Republic with an 11 month old Persian. She said the cat had been inside a cage since it was born and didn't know how to properly use a cat litter. I tried my best to train him. He now uses the cat litter... but selectively. He has urinated on my mattress on several occasions, but his preferred spot would be the bathtub, he also defecates there too. He is now inside a half bathroom, with a cat litter box and a water bowl. We let him out for a few hours a day so he can eat and spend time with the other cats. I honestly don't know what to do about him urinating every where.

Whenever he uses the cat litter, he scratches the wall instead of covering his feces.. So the room is also smelly. Sometimes my other two cats, who are tabbies cover it for him. He is also extremely scared of everyone, whenever I try to pet him, he runs away. He has been neutered, because we thought that might've been the problem with him peeing everywhere.. but it didn't change his behavior at all.

My family members are getting sick and tired of his behavior and I really DO NOT want to give up my cat. I feel nobody else would be tolerable to the fact that he doesn't know any better. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!! WHAT CAN I DO?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-26-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's quite possible he has a urinary tract infection from all the stress. The first thing to do is take him to the vet and get a urinalysis done.

How many cats are there? How many litter boxes? How often are the cat boxes cleaned?

Add more litter boxes. Use plain unscented litter. Scoop poop and pee out of all litter boxes at least twice a day.

If you are there when he poops, instead of complaining about the smell, scoop the poop out immediately, then there will be no smell. Scratching walls after pooping is a very common behavior in cats.

The cat is not "bad". He was abused for the first, what, 10 months of his, life by being forced to live in a cage. Now he is being kept shut up in a bathroom most of the day. I don't blame you for feeling bad for him, he must be terribly stressed.

Do all the cats get along?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-29-2014   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Auroramiles is on a distinguished road

Hi, all cats have trust issues. It takes a lot of effort and time to build their trust. Missing the litter box on purpose, is one of the telling signs that your cat doesn't trust you yet.
Unread 11-07-2014   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

catopia is on a distinguished road

Also depends a lot how he was treated before you had it. Closed in a cage all the time, sounds like very bad, and kind of damaged his social habilities, and does not trust anyone, thats why she is so scared.

It reminds me of a cat we had, she grew on a small room next to a dog room. The dog barking all the time, so she grew so scared for life. When we had her had trust issues, at some point she was happy with us, but any little sound scared her and jumped to the highest place she found. Also she only trusts the closes, new visits and the cat is gone, haha.

You can also visit or contact us at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
bad behavior , bath , behavior , box , cat , cats , clean , dog , eye , family , litter , litter box , litter boxes , mat , missing , not using litter , peeing , persian , pet , poop , problem , scared , scratching , sick , smell , urine , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links