It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-20-2014   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

swixx is on a distinguished road
Default Playing - Is she telling me no?

Hi everyone, I decided to register so I could ask a small question that's been nagging me. My adorable tortie Naya, is a sweetheart. Never aggressive. She likes to roll onto her back and wiggle as she makes eye contact with me so that I'd pet her. However, when she's high off catnip (or in a rare super playful mood) she'll grab my hand with her paws when I pet her and kind of "bite" it with her ears pinned back. The "biting" is more just her lightly pressing her teeth into my hand, and she never uses her claws. But then right after (or even before the "biting") she'll nuzzle her face and rub my hand. All of this happening while she is still squirming around on her back. I keep reading that pinned ears are a sign of aggression and annoyance, but if I just ignore her, she keeps looking at me expectantly, and wiggles even more intensely.

So, I guess I'm wondering if she is telling me "don't do that, but I still love you" in cat talk, or if she wants to play.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-20-2014   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Rolling on the back and showing her tummy is a very high compliment to you, she is showing you how much she trusts you. However, it's a very bad idea to use your hands as toys, because those cute little bites may not always stay cute or little if she becomes overstimulated. When she shows tum like that, get a toy and use that to encourage her to play.

Some cats love tummy rubs, some cats will show tum because they love and trust but you don't dare touch that yummy tummy. (I have one of those)

Some, like your girl, seem to like tummy rubs sometimes, but then want to turn it into play. I would avoid stroking her tum at all, just make a fuss over her, let her rub her face against your hands, but use only toys when she starts with the ears going back (over stimulation) and other signs of over stimulation.

Does she have a stuffed animal she can grab and kick and bite? That would be ideal.

She sounds lovely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-17-2015   #3 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

It seems good nature of Tortie Naya but you know every cat have their different behaviour. They enjoy their self according to their ways but you can teach them new habits according to ypur way. It will take time but i promise you get great success.
Unread 02-17-2015   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Cool
kskat is on a distinguished road

I think acerlt is right on. The ears back is what concerns me. A gentle bite can be a love nip, yes it really can! But ears back does make it seem like more of a warning. When she exposes her belly like that I believe it would be best to fight the urge to pet that cute belly and stroke her head. Any time she "plays" with your hand you really should redirect the play to a toy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adorable , aggression , aggressive , animal , bite , bites , biting , cat , catnip , cats , claws , cute , eye , fight , girl , hey , joy , love , pet , play , playing , question , rare , silly , sleeping , small , toys , type

Sponsored Cat Links