It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Bentleysmom1020 is on a distinguished road
Default Bentley Not Using the Litter Box all of a sudden

Hi,

We have had Bentley since he was just a very small kitten, he was abandoned in a barn down the street from my old house. Never in 3years have we had a problem with the litter box. This spring I ended up in a separation from my husband and ended up moving out in June. With that being said, I moved into my parents and could not bring Bentley with me due to a bad cat allergy from my father. I am not sure what my ex did to him (I know there were things said that he wasn't letting Bentley into the house at one point), or if it is just a mixture of confusion and unhappiness on Bentley's part, or just a mixture of both. Bentley is staying with my son and his young family until I find a place of my own, and he won't use the litter box. I can't have him pooping all over the house, they have 2 toddlers, but when he comes back to me, he can not be doing that either. I know his house can be crazy and its not really clean all the time either, so I am wondering if that could contribute to it as well.

So my question to everyone here is, please I do not want to have to bring my cat to the shelter or rehome him, I need to fix the problem. What can I do? I really hope that someone can help me with this problem so we can all be happy.

Thanks
Bentleysmom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-09-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Where are Bentley's litter boxes kept, in your son's house? Are they in a quiet out of the way area, private? And are the boxes being cleaned every day?

Cats don't cope well with stress and it sounds like Bentley's life recently has been nothing but stress. I realize it isn't your fault, it is life circumstances.

How much is your son and his wife willing to do, to help Bentley adjust and cope? (I would actually recommend looking for another foster home for him, some place without children or other pets.)

What are his bowel movements like? Normal in size and formation? Normal amounts? What is he being fed?

Since you say he has been let outside in the past, he may need to be dewormed. Please do not buy wormers in a store. He needs to go to the vet for that, over the counter products do not work and are not safe for cats.

Is anyone giving him any love or affection or playing with him?

Perhaps, a room set up for just him where he can get away from the children and noise of a busy young family. Elevated space so he can get away from grasping toddler hands.

Stress often makes cats sick. I do think a trip to the vet should be the first step. Is he urinating in the boxes?

I am sorry you and he are going through this, I hope you can get on your feet and you and he can be together soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-11-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

NickyVaran is on a distinguished road

Issues with the litter can be common when there are so many changes for your cat;

a) stress, b) changes in the household, c) their training d) the litter

Multiple things can cause a cat not to use their litter. I've dealt with similar problems with my cat. I ended up struggling with it for awhile. For me, the litter box, it self, was an issue. And then other cats in the house were an issue and lifestyle changes that I did, caused issues.

You can look at my blog for what I did.
Unread 01-18-2016   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Most likely he's acting out due to all the changes his life. I third (or what ever number it is) getting him set up in the spare bedroom. Peeing and Pooping all over the house is very common with kitties not used to kids who are suddenly dealing with kids in their life. I'd make sure that room is off limit to the kids and make sure everyone is clear on that. Hopefully once he's given a safe place he'll go back to using the box with no issue.

Tags
allergy , bad cat , bowel , box , cat , cats , children , clean , crazy , family , foster , happy , hey , home , house , kitten , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , moving , problem , question , separation , shelter , sick , small , training , tribute

Sponsored Cat Links