It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

MixedBreed is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Kitty poops every time he rides in car

My grandkitty was a stray that my daughter took in, and I believe he may have been dropped off or thrown out of a moving car, because every time my daughter has to take him in the car, he poops in his crate and gets covered with it. He is fine, until he feels the car moving. This happens no matter where she takes him - the vet, my house, sometimes even before she leaves the parking lot of her apartment complex. He is a very calm cat otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions how to deal with this? He is a young adult cat, and has been neutered. He's very healthy, and the stool is formed, he just can't seem to hold it while he's in the car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-05-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

This is a common problem for many cats, they are just so terrified in the car, and I think you may be right about his associations, which will make it even worse for the poor little boy..

Here is what I suggest

Clean the carrier thoroughly between trips.

Wipe the carrier out with a Feliway wipe a half hour before putting him in.

Get some Rescue Remedy (for pets), and give him four drops on a treat of some kind a half hour before putting him in the carrier

(these two steps have been very effective in helping one of my cats with car travel for vet trips)

But mostly I would avoid traveling with him as much as possible. Get a pet sitter rather than taking him, when she comes to your house, for example.

PS My congratulations to your daughter on the rescue!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 03-05-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-05-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you Acerlt! I will suggest your advice to her. As far as not traveling with him, my daughter is in the military, and needs to leave him, along with her 3 other cats, with me sometimes. I also have 4 cats of my own (all 8 cats were rescues), so when I can find a sitter for mine, I travel to her apartment to care for them, but when she will be gone for weeks or months on end, I have to bring them to my home. We live 2 hours away from each other. I feel so sorry for him, but sometimes, he has to make that trip.
Unread 03-05-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedBreed View Post
Thank you Acerlt! I will suggest your advice to her. As far as not traveling with him, my daughter is in the military, and needs to leave him, along with her 3 other cats, with me sometimes. I also have 4 cats of my own (all 8 cats were rescues), so when I can find a sitter for mine, I travel to her apartment to care for them, but when she will be gone for weeks or months on end, I have to bring them to my home. We live 2 hours away from each other. I feel so sorry for him, but sometimes, he has to make that trip.

I hope the Feliway and Rescue Remedy are helpful.

My heartfelt thanks to your daughter and all her family (including you) for their service to our country.

I can't remember if I posted my experience with them in this forum, so I will post it here for you. It's not the same issue of course, but I think the results might be similar, a less stressed cat. :

One of my cats has a terrible time at the vet and it's getting worse. The fear aggression is awful, screaming, biting lashing out. Her last visit was so traumatic for everyone (cat, me, vet, tech) that the vet suggested sedating her next time. I am adamantly against sedating cats with things like valium and acepromazine and I told my vet I wouldn't consider it. So I've been working hopefully toward a solution.

Here is the result:

I am happy to announce that between the Rescue Remedy for Pets, FeliwayWipes and Feliway Spray, her appointment went much much better than ever before.

I've been so stressed about this appointment, after what happened the last time, that I haven't slept all week. Awful insomnia.

So...I gave her the usual amount of pre-breakfast meal, .45 oz, as usual split in two. The second serving, which I gave her one hour before the appointment, contained 4 drops of Rescue Remedy for pets.

Next I thoroughly wiped the inside of the carrier with a Feliway wipe. I hung a fresh towel over the heater to warm. I went out, started the car to let it warm (it's frigid here) and squirted a spray of Feliway in the back seat.

She growled a protest when I put her in the carrier, but did not or fight resist like she usually does. That was my first indication that the RR might be helping her. She mewed most of the way there, but I think she does that to comfort herself.

Once at the vet, she allowed me to poke my finger in through the holes in the carrier door and she rubbed her face against my finger. Usually I risk losing the finger if I poke it into the carrier. She rubbed her face against my finger! That was the second improvement.

In the consultation room, after the vet finished sanitizing the stainless steel table/scale, I wiped it down with a Feliway wipe. I also requested that both she (vet) and tech spray their hands and the front of their lab coats with Feliway, and they were happy to do it.

I lifted her out of the carrier (the top comes off) and set her on the table to be weighed. She was crouched but not trembling or shivering, usually she is shivering/trembling so hard it's visible. Improvement #3.

After the weight was recorded I lifted her up and put her towel under her. Then I stepped back, staying in her sight, and let the vet and tech do the handling. She growled a bit but there was no screaming, no biting, no spitting, no lashing of claws. She let the vet do everything, with the tech doing the handling, accepted it all with just warning growls now and then. They took her to the back to draw blood. I listened closely but heard no screaming. They brought her back and she was still calm. Not purring or happy, but calm. Vet said she allowed the blood draw without trouble, just a bit of a growl, no screaming or biting.

It was INCREDIBLE!

I am so relieved that these efforts with the Rescue Remedy for pets and the Feliway wipes and Feliway spray has made this difference for her. So relieved.

And the best part? She is not drugged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-05-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

That is awesome results, Acelt! Thank you for your help, and your gratitude, also, and I will pass that along to my daughter as well!
Unread 01-18-2016   #6 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

This is a common problem for many cats, they are just so terrified in the car, and I think you may be right about his associations, which will make it even worse for the poor little boy. Here is what I suggest Clean the carrier thoroughly between trips. Wipe the carrier out with a Feliway wipe a half hour before putting him in. Get some Rescue Remedy and give him four drops on a treat of some kind a half hour before putting him in the carrier.But mostly I would avoid traveling with him as much as possible. Get a pet sitter rather than taking him, when she comes to your house.

Tags
adult , advice , apartment , automobile , calm , car , care , cat , cats , defecate , healthy , hey , home , house , kitty , mat , moving , pet , poop , problem , rescue , stray , suggestions , travel , vehicle , vet

Sponsored Cat Links