It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Scooter12 is on a distinguished road
Default urinating outside of box

I have a 3 year old male cat. He was neutered before he reached 6 months old. Recently he started urinating outside of his litter box. He still uses it to poop. I took him to the vet and was found to have a UTI. He has been treated with antibiotics. Just yesterday I saw him squatting in his bed. Sure enough I found a few drops of urine when he moved. He is the only inside pet we have. There is a semi feral male cat that has been coming to the house for food the last 8 years. We live in the country and a neighbor has several cats that run loose. I know it upsets my cat whenever he sees them through the window. Not sure what to do next.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-04-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Is he urinating in the box also? Or are these few drops the only pee you have seen?

If he is not peeing, he is blocked and this is an emergency. Absolute emergency. Once a male cat blocks he will die within 24-36 hours, without medical intervention, the bladder will burst.

If he is peeing in the box, and still squatting elsewhere what this usually means is he is in pain. The pain and irritation from the infection make him feel like he has to "go" all the time. He pees in the box, it hurts, so he tries to pee on something soft.

How long has he been on the antibiotics?

Didn't the vet give you anything for pain for him?

Did the vet counsel you to feed your cat a wet diet only?

Did the vet do a urine culture to determine what kind of bacteria was causing the infection, and to find out if there are any crystals or blood or other debris present in the urine?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-04-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

He doesn't seem to be in any pain. He acts normal otherwise. He was on antibiotics for 9 days. He also pees in the box, but if that is clothing left on the floor, he will pee on it. He peed on the porch this morning. He only goes out on the porch when me or my husband go with him. The vet said his bladdr didn't feel hard or full. This was 2 wks ago and at that tim, he as licking himself frequently. Although the vet did not run a culture test on the urine or check for crystals.
Unread 06-04-2015   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

First thing: Cats hide pain and continue many normal actives even when they are suffering immensely. That your cat is avoiding the litter box and peeing on soft things is a sign he has pain.

He is telling you something is wrong.

Secondly, how did the vet diagnose a urinary tract infection, if they didn't culture the urine? Antibiotics will not do anything for crystals in the urine, nor cystitis (inflammation)

What are you feeding him? It is extremely important you feed him a wet (canned) diet. Preferably low carb, but wet is the most important thing.

Here is what Dr Lisa Pierson has to say about urinary tract disease in cats:

Feline Urinary Tract Health: Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: cat urinary tract health

Dr Pierson is a bit wordy so take the articles on her website in small doeses, if you need to, it's a lot of absorb.

Studies have shown that otherwise healthy cats (no kidney disease, diabetes, or hyperthyroidism) - that are showing signs of urinary tract discomfort - have only a ~1-2% chance of having a UT infection yet antibiotics are prescribed very frequently for these patients. The veterinary (as well as human) medical community needs to address this very serious problem involving the overuse/abuse of antibiotics.

Roughly 99% of these otherwise healthy cats have sterile (no infection) cystitis. This is because the feline is very good at saving water to stay hydrated which results in a very concentrated urine. (Urine Specific Gravity (USG) >1.040) Concentrated urine is a very hostile environment that does not readily support bacterial growth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 06-04-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

I feed him a small amount of Wellness dry food in the morning and a small can of Wellness in the evening. We have well water and I recently switched to giving him only bottled water. I wasn't sure if I needed to switch litter, currently using tidy Cat Breeze pellets or take him to a different vet.
Unread 06-04-2015   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I would eliminate all dry. Then you won't have to worry about your water, or bottled water (not sure it makes much difference really though) because most 100% canned fed cats don't drink much water, if any, because they get all the moisture they need from their food, which is how it should be.

My cats don't drink at all, ever. (they are 75% raw and 25% canned fed)

I also recommend branching out to some different brands.

If he is used to the litter I wouldn't change that. Cats don't much like their litter being changed on them, and you don't want to cause him any stress, as stress can make urinary tract problems worse.

Here is what I would do:

Stop feeding dry food. Take him back to the vet, since he is still having symptoms, and ask your vet to do a urine culture. This is not cheap and it takes a couple of days for results, but it's the only way to really know what's going on.

Get some d-mannose (AFTER the vet takes the urine) and start giving it to him 1/8 teaspsoon twice a day (in food) for two weeks, then once a day for two more weeks. D-mannose is excellent for urinary tract issues. It acts as an adherent in the bladder, grabbing anything that doesn't belong there (crystals, sludge, certain bacteria) and taking it out with the pee.

I use it myself, for both myself and my cat who was diagnosed years ago with "FLUTD". The relief from discomfort is very quick.

Start giving him, also, cosequin for cats. Cosequin is a joint supplement, but the main ingredient is glucosamine, which is an anti inflammatory and helps keep the bladder walls smooth so nothing sticks and builds up.

Here is what I advise against:

DON'T let the vet talk you into "prescription food". These foods are very poor quality, and usually they push the dry food, which is the worst thing you can feed a cat with urinary tract problems. Dry, corn laden, high carb feed. Awful stuff. (I speak from experience)

If you think the outside cats are causing him stress you can try feliway plug in diffusers, and/or rescue remedy for pets. The Rescue Remedy is giving orally or rubbed on the face or ears. The feliway plug in is a pheromone diffuser for help with stress and territorial feelings.

Sorry to throw so much info at you at once. But I've been dealing with and learning about this issue (urinary tract issues in cats) for many years.

I have to go to bed now but if you have more questions I'll be around tomorrow. Watch your boy closely to make sure he isn't straining to urinate. Make sure you are seeing good sized pees.

please read this first
Unread 06-04-2015   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for all the information. I have been researching vets and have found one this is highly recommended. I'll call them in the morning. What type of canned food do you recommend. I've checked into the raw diet and cannot afford it. I check ingredients and don't buy any with any by-products. He is kinda picky and won't eat the pate variety. Where do you buy the medications you mentioned? Once again, I thank you for all your advice.
Unread 06-05-2015   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Do you buy the capsule or powered form of d-mannose?
Unread 06-07-2015   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I use pure powdered d-mannose but there isn't any reason you can't use the capsules and sprinkle it out and re-close it, if that is more convenient for you.

In fact I've noticed, in summer the powder tends to absorb moisture and ball up, so I may try capsules next time.

I get most supplements on Amazon.com, but if you don't shop on the internet look for a health food /holistic type store.

Pates are generally lower in carbs is why I mentioned it. Tiki Cat is a good quality low carb comes in shredded form, but it isn't cheap. I generally don't recommend specific brands any more because pet food changes so frequently, something I recommend today may be an awful food in 6 months.

For example I've been feeding By Nature Organics for years, but that has now been discontinued, so once my back stock is used up the only canned food they will be eating again is Tiki cat. They are mostly raw fed, I feed a rotation homemade Prey Model raw (chunks of meat, organ and bone or calcium supplement), freeze dried, and frozen raw.

The Wellness isn't too awful, but there have been some anecdotal reports of urinary tract problems with cats eating wellness (I had a cat who had trouble with it, the canned pate version). Feeding a variety is better, safer.

How is Scooter doing?

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 06-07-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Unread 06-07-2015   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

I took him to a different vet Friday. The first thing he told was that a urinary tract infection in cats is rare and to know for sure he would need to some tests. He did an ultra sound of the bladder and no stones. He did a urinalys and found crystals in the urine. Also a urine culture and blood work which will take a few days for results. He put him on an anti- inflammatory/pain med and anxiety med. He told me to take him off dry food and only feed canned food that is for urinary health. Keep an eye on him to make sure he pees and I take him back in 2 weeks. It was expensive but I felt he was getting better care. I never heard of tiki food, but I'll research the Internet on it. The vet wants to wait to give him any supplements because he didn't want to shove too many pills on him at once.
I really appreciate your advice and taking the time to answer me. I'll be looking for those supplements in the mean time.

Tags
antibiotics , bladder , box , cat , cats , diet , eating , eye , feral , food , found , health , house , infection , licking , litter , litter box , male , morning , nose , obstruction , pee , peeing , pet , poop , present , raw , test , urine , uti , vet , window , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links