It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-11-2015   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

natural is on a distinguished road
Default Added a new cat to household, can't tell if he's aggressive or playful

I'll try to keep it short but i'll include all important information. We have two female cats. One spayed the other is not. Spayed cat is turning 6 the unspayed cat will be turning 4.

We added a male to our house he's the same age as our younger female, he's a pure bred maine coon, neutered. We adopted him because the owners were allergic.

We introduced them pretty early. Our oldest cat still doesn't like him getting close to her, she's very territorial. The younger cat is a bit more submissive, still doesn't like him getting really close to her but she does not have any trouble walking passed him etc anymore.

He tends to chase our cats when they dont know he's coming. Sometimes he sneaks up to try and smell them they turn and hiss at him. He doesn't hiss or arch his back. He's laid back, calm. He hissed at first but no longer does. It's been a week.

He still chases them a bit or runs up on them but then when they turn and hiss he stops and backs away. Today he chased the youngest up the stairs when she was following me to the bathroom, and he was swatting at her back leg. Afterwards they were both in the washroom and my youngest cat was getting close to him while he laid on the floor. She's finally warming up to being around him and she turned around. When she turned around he bit her in her back leg she turned around and hissed, and I seperated them.

It's the first time i've seen him bite the cat, he wasn't hissing or growling. I"m just not sure if it's out of aggression or if he's just bored out of his mind and needs to play. We would love to keep him. His personality is awesome He's laid back, he's enormous. Just a big sweet heart. But we're not willing to ruin the relationship our current cats have. Any advice would be awesome.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-12-2015   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Sounds like play to me. Swatting at the back legs while chasing is a common "I want to play" behavior. My cats do it to each other all the time. They are just teasing each other.

It sounds like everyone is adjusting well but please get the other female spayed. It's cruel to leave her going into heat all the time, and every heat cycle increases her risk of pyometra (extremely painful usually fatal uterine infection) and mammary cancer.

And she WILL get out, and either get pregnant, or not return at all.

Please, spay her without any more delay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-12-2015   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

natural is on a distinguished road

Yeah she hadn't often gone into heat, after we spayed our eldest cat because it was happening often this one took over there's just been big changes financially, and where we live for the cats as well. We just got settled into our new place. Once things blow over with the new cat she'll be getting spayed. Our two cats have been at odds with each other when we moved. We could always separate her for awhile as well until she's healed.
Unread 09-02-2015   #4 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Play aggression is the most common type of aggressive behavior that cats direct toward their owners. It involves typical predatory and play cat behaviors problem, including stalking, chasing, attacking, running, ambushing, pouncing, leaping, batting, swatting, grasping, fighting and biting.

Tags
adopted , advice , age , aggression , aggressive , allergic , behavior , bite , calm , cat , cats , female , growling , hey , hiss , hissing , house , love , maine coon , new cat , personality , play , smell , spayed , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links