It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-25-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

faster is on a distinguished road
Default Strange behaviour

Hi, new member here, I need an advice ...

We have 2 cats, female 6 years old and a male kitten 6-7 months old ...both are loved by us.
The cats generally get along OK, the male wants to play with the female cat, who is not too interested, mostly ignores him, hisses or growls a bit, they chase each other a bit playfully, but no hostility...

However, to come to my question, today the male started to run around hysterically, and ended up peeing on our bed and then proceeded to poop sort of "liquid poop" in various places...(never has liquid poop and always uses box which is kept clean)... so this really surprised us...

I looked on web to see a similar behaviour but didn't find much info...
What is happening with the male cat?
Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-25-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Possibly over stimulated.

But the liquid poop, or whatever caused it, may have caused him so much discomfort, it caused the strange behavior. Gas pains hurt, and I've seen cats react in very extreme ways to it.

Is he neutered?

What's his diet?

Has he been de-wormed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-26-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Possibly over stimulated.

But the liquid poop, or whatever caused it, may have caused him so much discomfort, it caused the strange behavior. Gas pains hurt, and I've seen cats react in very extreme ways to it.
Is he neutered?
What's his diet?
Has he been de-wormed?
Thanks a lot for reply, I think you figured it out...
We noticed that the diarrhea caused him discomfort and he started to flip out, running around, didn't understand what was happening to him, every time he had to poop...

Both cats eat only dry food and drink water. They never get scraps, and the only different thing that happened a few days ago, the male ate few 6-7 dry pellets that "dissolve" hair in sterilized cats' stomach.

The male is going to be neutered this coming friday.

He's been de-wormed 2 months ago...Should I do it again? (First time poor thing had worms crawling out)...

Thanks again for your time to answer
Unread 01-27-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faster View Post
Thanks a lot for reply, I think you figured it out...
We noticed that the diarrhea caused him discomfort and he started to flip out, running around, didn't understand what was happening to him, every time he had to poop...

Both cats eat only dry food and drink water. They never get scraps, and the only different thing that happened a few days ago, the male ate few 6-7 dry pellets that "dissolve" hair in sterilized cats' stomach.

The male is going to be neutered this coming friday.

He's been de-wormed 2 months ago...Should I do it again? (First time poor thing had worms crawling out)...

Thanks again for your time to answer
HI, how's your boy? Has the diarrhea stopped?

I don't know what pellets you are talking about? There isn't anything that dissolves fur, do you mean a hairball product? Those just help the cats pass the fur, but I am curios what product you are using that comes in pellet form? (and whether a cat is sterilized or not has nothing to do with if they get hairballs? ) Can you please explain further what you mean here?

When being wormed usually the medicine is given twice, three weeks apart. This is because it only kills adult parasites. So it should be given three weeks after the first dose to get any that matured in the mean time. You are using a product prescribed by the vet?

I strongly urge you to transition both cats off of the dry food onto a wet diet. Dry food isn't good for either cat, but is especially harmful to male cats.

There is more information here (written by a vet specializing in feline nutrition)

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 01-29-2016   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
HI, how's your boy? Has the diarrhea stopped?

I don't know what pellets you are talking about? There isn't anything that dissolves fur, do you mean a hairball product? Those just help the cats pass the fur, but I am curios what product you are using that comes in pellet form? (and whether a cat is sterilized or not has nothing to do with if they get hairballs? ) Can you please explain further what you mean here?

When being wormed usually the medicine is given twice, three weeks apart. This is because it only kills adult parasites. So it should be given three weeks after the first dose to get any that matured in the mean time. You are using a product prescribed by the vet?

I strongly urge you to transition both cats off of the dry food onto a wet diet. Dry food isn't good for either cat, but is especially harmful to male cats.
HI Acerlt, and thank you so much for your help.

Well he's doing a bit better, but his diarrhea didn't quite stopped, it got better and less frequent but still he is not his little self...
Strange, he plays all the time, runs after things and suddenly diarrhea hits him, he freaks out, starts to loose his poop shits him self...a moment later he's fine...He's even a bit scared of his litter box...

This morning I took him to the vet to be neutered and I mentioned his diarrhea to the vet and they will give him a shot...I hope they check him out a bit, I had a slight disappointment with the vet's assistant, young girl that was almost a bit afraid of the kitten? Can you believe that? She didn't talk to him and pet him and soothe him, just an examination and that's it...She looked like she was scared to take him out of the cage...lol
So I took him out...

That's very interesting about the food...I had no idea, I thought that dry food is good, got all the nutrients etc...well what do I know?
Thank you for the links about the food.

We are definitely going to feed them the right food, I fed them dry not because of financial reasons, but more convenience and so they don't get fat...
We used to get fresh fish from the fish market pretty often...sardines etc...

The hair ball stuff product I was talking about is made by Whiskas and says controls hair balls in their stomach.
We grow special grass for cats, 2 times a month for them to "eat"...

Thanks again for your help, I am going to pick the poor little boy at the klinik, I will post in a couple of days how he's doing...

PS. Is there a trick to make cats like each other?...Better?...they don't fight, the older one "ignores" the kitten...
Unread 01-29-2016   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Is there a trick to make cats like each other?...Better?...they don't fight, the older one "ignores" the kitten.
Just time. . She'll get used to him eventually. There are ways to help them get used to each other, but I think you need to get the diarrhea issue sorted first.

Be warned that when he comes home smelling like vet and anesthesia from his neuter, she will not recognize him at all and there may be a lot of hissing.

Dry food (especially free feeding) is more likley to make a cat fat than a wet diet. Dry food is full of carbs and fillers. Cats are obligate carnivores, they need meat and moisture.

On the bag it may appear that the cat will get everything he needs, but they don't digest dry food properly, they can't. They poop most of it out.

I am frankly surprised that the vet was willing to neuter your kitten with the unresolved diarrhea. The diarrhea is a serious problem. He will become dehydrated (if not already) from it, especially on a dry diet.

I am worried about his recovery from his surgery because of this.

I recommend you get some canned food and a good probiotic. The probiotic is to help with the transition to a better diet, and to help with the diarrhea.

Feed him very small portions of canned at first, mixing in a little bit of probiotic with each portion.

I hope he does okay with his neuter.

please read this first
Unread 05-20-2016   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

mic.alan is on a distinguished road

This behavior is ok

Tags
advice , behavior , behaviour , box , cat , cats , clean , diarrhea , diet , dry , female , fight , food , growls , hey , hurt , kitten , litter box , male , new member , nutrition , peeing , play , poop , question , scared , strange behavior , water

Sponsored Cat Links