It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mwoj is on a distinguished road
Default 13 Week old kitten still hissing and hiding

First time cat owner. I have had my 13 week old Abyssinian for 11 days now.
I knew he was going to be stressed, scared, and shy at first and he didn't eat, drink, or pee for almost 48 hours. I'm sure it didn't help that the morning after I had picked him up we went to the vet for a check-up which probably scared him even more. He now loves his litter box, food, and water even though it took him some time to figure out how to not tip over the bowl .
I didn't come into the situation blind and knew that you need to let the cat come to you. He has been in my bedroom with his toys and everything else (I have been sleeping on the couch to avoid further stress). I feed him 3 times a day and keep the dish near me and a hiding place for him as I sit in the corner of the room quietly. He is very comfortable with this after our 11 days together and will come right after I have sat down but will hiss then move on to his food. After he eats I use a wand toy to play with him and he gets pretty excited over play time now.
Here is the issue. He still won’t let me near him. He will come up and sniff me but I would have to be sitting for nearly an hour quietly in the same spot for him to even attempt this. When hes playing with his wand he gets very close even sliding into my legs at times but as soon as he sees my face he hisses and runs away (I try to avoid direct eye contact during play as people have said that is cat language for confrontation). I give him treats that I place in my hand. He will hiss as I extend my arm closer to him but then investigates my hand and takes the treat.
I understand this can take some time but does anyone else have any tips? Spending 4-5 hours a day just sitting quietly in a corner of a room for 11 days without much feedback or change in the cats behavior is getting pretty tiring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-29-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You're just going to have to wait him out. Keep on as you are.

You could call the breeder and ask what socialization was done with him, though it seems obvious there wasn't much.

You might try spending a little less time with him, to see if he gets lonely and starts looking for you....

What are you feeding him? Kittens usually need to eat more than 3 times a day. At least four meals, wet food only (or raw). No dry food. Ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-29-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

mwoj is on a distinguished road

He's eating iams wet food atm unfourtantly. Vet said to keep his diet the same until he gets settled. I plan on a raw diet.
Will stick with it. Can't even get ahold of the breeder now which is fitting.
Unread 03-29-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Well, any wet is better than dry, and it's great that you are going to feed raw! My girls are raw fed, too.

Considering his lack of social skills, sounds like the breeder isn't going to be much help.

It's just you and him now. You'll be fine. Patience is what it's going to take. You already know not to force your attentions on him and 11 days is a very short time really. Hang in there, it will get better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-04-2016   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

sperahouse is on a distinguished road

Just give him time! I rescue animals mostly cats!! ana they are all different!! some come around quickly while others just come around on their own time!!! !! Lyn

Tags
abyssinian , behavior , box , breeder , cat , cats , eye , feedback , food , fur , hiding , hiss , hissing , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , morning , pee , play , playing , scared , sleeping , tips , toys , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links