It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

quickbeam1213 is on a distinguished road
Default New cat is acting distant. Why?

So I got a new cat today. At first she hid under my bed, but it wasn't long until she came out and began exploring. When she was out in my room she was always coming up to me to be petted and scratched. Overall she was acting very friendly. Before the day was over she grew brave enough to begin exploring outside of my room. At first she was camping in front of my roommate's door. I was afraid that this meant that she liked them more than me, but then we determined that she was attracted by the scent of crab. Seems she likes fish. They put the crab away, but now she is still hanging out in the living room. That is the part I don't understand. My room was the first she was brought to, it is where her food, water, and litter box are, and it is where she hid until she felt safe enough to venture out. Now she suddenly seems to be anti social and I'm not sure why. Every time she is brought back into my room, she leaves again. I just want her to hang out with me. Advice?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-02-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Cats don't like to be kept in one room all the time. This cat has only been in your home one day.

She doesn't know what's happened to her or why she's there. She doesn't know yet that you are her person. She may be expecting to be packed off to another place any moment, depending on her history. There's no way of knowing.

A cat that confident to begin exploring right away is remarkable! Let her be where she wants to be.

Instead of dragging her back to your room, stay with her in the living room, if that's where she wants to be.

Provide her with some nice cat trees she can perch on and for scratching.

Put her litter box in a private quite place.

Don't feed her near her litter box. Cats don't like to eat near their toilet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-30-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

RandyMiller is on a distinguished road

It must be really a tough situation for you, but I would suggest you not to force her. Just give her some more time.

Don't try to cuddle with her for now, just sit near her and talk softly. You can also pay soft music. It really helps.

Pamper her with some accessories, toys and treats.

Good luck!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , box , cat , cats , fish , food , friendly , hey , home , litter , litter box , new cat , nice , person , pet , scratching , social , toys , water , why?

Sponsored Cat Links