It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-23-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

mjfromga is on a distinguished road
Default Hi - new kitten

So a bit of back story. I got Oreo 3 weeks ago approximately from a pretty bad 2 star rated shelter. He was 5-6 weeks as the vet yesterday said he is now about 8 weeks. He was bony and rail thin when I got him and weighed 1.2 lbs. Yesterday he weighed in at 3.3 lbs at the vet and 3.2 on my scale here so lots of weight gain! He was neutered at 7 weeks apparently because the shelter had his age listed WAY wrong (9 weeks) but I didn't know, I just thought he was small/stunted/starving because he was just bones. I followed the contract that said when a kitten reaches 2 lbs, they are to be brought back for neutering.

The issue is that he is insanely greedy. He runs through cans of food like no tomorrow. Now that I have put kibble down, he keeps stuffing himself with it, too. I've GOT to be feeding him too much as he is gaining weight very fast but he never seems full and the sheer AMOUNT of food that can go into him (and come out!!) is astounding. In addition, he is highly food aggressive and steals from everyone here.

He gets 9 lives cat food, boiled/baked chicken, Taste of the Wild cat kibble, and treats, stolen Purina One canned dog food, and maybe stolen watermelon or whatever else he can nibble before he is caught. He tries to go into the fridge when it's opened. He even tries to steal fish food! He had a mild case of roundworm (none visible in stool but a few eggs etc detected in sample), but we've had kittens and puppies with much worse roundworm problems (worms coming OUT their rear etc) in the past that were not greedy so that's not it.

Aside from food, he's a lovely affectionate boy who adores cuddles and loves my dog Nigredo. He uses his cat box on his own like a good boy and doesn't tear things up etc. He only plays with his toys and he's not really a bad kitty otherwise. I very much love him and just want to help him realize that here, he doesn't have to fight for his food! I have videos showing the examples of what he does, but can't post them as my post count isn't 25 yet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to mjfromga For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-25-2016   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Mernuge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
The issue is that he is insanely greedy. He runs through cans of food like no tomorrow. Now that I have put kibble down, he keeps stuffing himself with it, too. I've GOT to be feeding him too much as he is gaining weight very fast but he never seems full and the sheer AMOUNT of food that can go into him (and come out!!) is astounding. In addition, he is highly food aggressive and steals from everyone here.
Contrary to what many people believe, animals do not necessarily feel/know when enough is enough, don't know what's good for their health instinctively. I mean, humans, too, are animals, and there's such thing as obesity. I've seen obese cats, too. They just don't know when to stop. In the wild, something like that is never a problem. Food is scarce, there's never too much food. But for pets it's different. They can get as much food as they want... or at least as much as their owner is willing to give them.

Being food aggressive is quite natural, regardless of how full a cat is. I think that's a matter of his temper. More docile cats will not be quite as aggressive, even when hungry.

Hopefully, you will find a pattern that'll help you to keep your cat healthier. I also can't wait for you to get 25 posts so I could see a video of your cats. From what you said, he sounds like a little mischief-maker
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-25-2016   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

He is not obese. He is still quite skinny. He's just greedy. It isn't the pattern of what I'm doing, it is him being starved before being rescued and thus thinking he always needs to gobble up food because he won't have enough. I just wanted help with how to stop this, but this forum seems extremely inactive.
Unread 07-25-2016   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on the rescue!

He isn't "greedy". Greed is a human emotion.

He was starved and his body still feels starved. You need to feed him good wholesome species appropriate foods, and this means no kibble

Kibble is full of carbohydrates and fillers that provide no nutrition to a cat, not to mention extremely dehydrating.

Feed your kitten low carb canned foods without a lot of junk (read labels, avoid grains and fruits and vegetables, you want to see meat and meat derivatives) or even better get him started on a raw diet. You can start off with a commercial raw while you are learning how to do it.

You don't even have to feed all raw, you can feed some canned and some raw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 07-25-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Unread 07-25-2016   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

PS This is very important: Do not let him eat the dog's food. It does not contain the correct nutrients he needs, especially taurine, and he can become severely malnourished.

Has he been wormed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 07-25-2016   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

He has been wormed for roundworms, which is what he tested positive for. He is negative for worms. I can't afford top of the line cat food for him right now, but there is Taste of the Wild kibble, which I thought was pretty good. Any dog food he eats is stolen from under the dogs face and I remove him when it happens. He isn't actually FED dog food. I won't be feeding him a raw diet, don't have the capacity etc. I may get him some Merrick canned food to go with the 9 Lives he's currently eating. BTW - he only eats the Tuna and Egg flavor. He is a 3 lb kitten and it says feed 2 cans a day. I feed maybe 1 1/2 cans and he eats lots of kibble and usually some boiled meat etc as well. We've had many cats and have fed the same things and none behaved like him. We currently have a 17 year old cat that we've had since she was a kitten and she's been fed the same foods and is still in good health, albeit maybe a tad chubby in old age.
Unread 07-25-2016   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

There is no point in making comparisons between any other cat and this one.

This kitten was starved for most of his short life already, and he needs superior nutrition. Dry food is not even good nutrition, neither is purina tuna and egg, though at least it is wet. (tuna is very bad for cats though)

If you'd rather feed cooked home made food that's fine. There is a pre-mix that completes both raw and cooked meat. All you add is the meat. When cooking you save all juices/drippings, mix the cooked meat and juices with the premix.

Food Fur Life - EZ Balanced & Complete Raw or Cooked Pet Food!

Read their "blog and news" section too. It will help you understand what cats need to thrive, especially this little one who has had such a rough start.

A few more places for you to gain more understanding of what your new baby needs to thrive

Do you get all fired up about your cats? Are you determined to give them the best in life you can? Then you've come to the right place! - CatCentric

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

There are better canned foods out there, and I would avoid tuna (or any fish) all together. Tuna is very bad for cats.

Your senior kitty will benefit from this diet change too. Obesity, or even just a little overweight, is very rough on cats, especially older cats. It makes their arthritis even worse, and puts them at a much higher risk for fatty liver disease.

Improve your baby boy's diet, and he will stop feeling so desperate to eat. His behavior makes it evident he is not getting what he needs from what you are feeding him.

please read this first
Unread 07-25-2016   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Not everyone can feed human food to cats for each meal. The best I can do is an all canned diet with Merrick canned alongside some less pricey canned food. He's a healthy cat, and the 17 year old has strong organs, good teeth, etc. and is healthy, too. My previous cat that disappeared was grain intolerant but was 11 and healthy aside from that, too. My previous dog lived to be almost 16 and was healthy most of his life and never obese. My female dog is 13 and healthy and not obese. The male dog is chubby, but is healthy otherwise and is fed proper amounts as recommended by a vet, including raw and canned but still has weight issues due to horrible metabolism (Labrador). I try hard to care for as many animals as I can, but we are normal people. Our pets tend to be long lived and healthy. I was told by another source that this is more just a psychological issue rather than he's actually still hungry. He's gone from 1.3 lbs to 3.3 lbs in less than a month just because he eats so much and he's STILL skinny feeling and looking because he was literally a sack of bones when I got him.
Unread 07-25-2016   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The information is there, if you ever decide to learn about feline nutrition and what a cat needs to thrive.

I don't doubt your kitten has some food anxiety. But ensuring his little body is getting the foods he was designed by nature to thrive on, will go a long way toward helping him feel satisfied both physically and psychologically.

please read this first
Unread 07-26-2016   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

LillianJacks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I was told by another source that this is more just a psychological issue rather than he's actually still hungry. He's gone from 1.3 lbs to 3.3 lbs in less than a month just because he eats so much and he's STILL skinny feeling and looking because he was literally a sack of bones when I got him.
That's so true! If the cat has been starving for a long time, he should be very food aggressive

Tags
addition , affectionate , age , bills , box , boy , cat , cat food , dog , fight , fish , fish food , food , hey , kitten , kittens , kitty , new kitten , shelter , small , stunted , toys , vet , videos , weight , wild

Sponsored Cat Links