It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2016   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

LeFlame is on a distinguished road
Smile Hi need help with new kitten

Hi everyone this is my first time having a cat and I'm not sure if this is normal.My new kitten Lea is about 8-9 weeks I just got her from the shelter 4 days ago and she is still very scared.Even at the shelter they told me that she was a very scared kitten.Her behavior is she's hissing if I get near and growling at me sometimes,she hides if I look at her eat or drink water or even go to the litter.Any tips would be appreciated thanks guys!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-27-2016   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

This is not uncommon, but I am very surprised the shelter didn't match you up with an easier kitten. It can be very difficult for someone new to cats to cope with a kitten who has never been properly socialized.

However I am sure you wil do fine, since you are asking for help.

Do you know anything about her history? What is her name?

I'm going to send you a private message. You won't be able to reply directly, but you can let me know, in this thread, that you got it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 10-27-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-27-2016   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Here are a few suggestions while I wait for more detail from you.

Put your new baby in one room. Make sure the room is safe for her. Nothing that she can knock over onto herself, nothing that she can knock down and break. No strings of any kind. No blinds. No tiny spaces that she might squeeze into and then not be able to get out of.

Make sure she has a safe place in the room. A cardboard box turned on it's side with the flap hanging down is a good fort for a scaredy kitten. Also a small cardboard box upright, with a stuffed animal in it for her to cuddle up to.

Visit her in her room many times a day. Don't try to force yourself on her. Just sit quietly and talk to her. If she does venture out to you (she will, eventually) stay very calm, don't reach for her or try to grab her. Always let her come to you.

Offer her a toy, by rolling a ball or dragging a string on a stick toy (don't leave it in the room when you aren't in there)

Feed her a wet food only diet. Bring her a wet meal every time you come in to see her. Let her eat as often as she needs to. Kittens need a lot of food!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-27-2016   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

LeFlame is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I can't set her up a perfectly quiet room my house is too small so she is staying in my room.i haven't set her loose on other rooms but plan to after she gets use to me.so far she is eating and drink water and goes to the litter box but the only problem is that if she sees me looks at her from my bed she will go and hide also she won't come out if I'm not on my bed.She is hissing and growing but when I find her in my bathroom in a corner she will hide but after I pet her for a bit will calm down and pur a bit but after I leave she goes back to hiding under my bed!I know this kitty will take time to get use to me but it feels like I'm not making any progress

Tags
animal , baby , behavior , box , calm , cat , cats , diet , food , growling , hey , hissing , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , new kitten , scared , shelter , small , suggestions , tips , water , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links