It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2017   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Pete is on a distinguished road
Default My scaredy cat

Howdy folks. I'm new here and this is my first thread/post.

I have three cats; Bella, (female), Scooter(male) and Fluffy (male). The males are brothers whom I adopted when they were kittens. I need some help understanding y cats.

Scooter got his name from running away from me almost all the time. He runs behind my couch or under the other couch.

I'm having a difficult time understanding what they're trying to tell me. For example: almost every time I walk into the kitchen Fluffy follows me, sticking his snoot in the fridge when I open it. He rubs against my legs sometimes. When I look down at him he gives this cute little ....... well its a cross between a cute gurgle and a meow. It's sooo cute. He looks up at me like he wants to tell me something but I don't know what he wants. I used to think he was hungry and wanted a snack but he does that even after he gets filled up with kitty treats (I think I spoil them too much). Is it that he wants me to pet him? I gladly oblige of course - he's so cute!

Then there's Scooter. He seems to be afraid of me but I've never hurt him. I could never hurt a cat or any animal in fact. I rarely try to force him to be somewhere he doesn't want to be. Yet when he's sitting on top of the back of the couch or laying on the couch he gladly lets me pet him and then purrs. Sometimes he walks into the room meowing. When I got to pet him he shies away. When I finish showering he walks into the bathroom with a gurgling meow. When I go to pet him he shies away. Then he goes to one of his favorite spots, i.e. jumps onto the kitchen counter and then on top of the fridge and does the same thing. This time he lets me pet him and then he purrs. He even leans into the petting. He's sooo cute too!

As you can tell, I love my kitties to death. I want to make them as happy as I can. Can someone help me understand them better?

I'll post videos of what they're doing when I can.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-04-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Sounds like Fluffy just likes to be involved in whatever you are doing. His lovely sounds are his way of commenting and expressing his opinions.

Scooter, for whatever reason needs to feel safe. After reading your post a few times what stands out about Scooter is, he allows you to pet him when he is higher up. The fridge, the back of the couch..this puts him either above you or at least on a closer level to you, making him feel more in control of his circumstances. I would stop trying to pet him at other times. When he is on the floor just talk to him, instead of reaching your hand toward him.

Or try this...when he walks over to greet you (from the floor) if you think he would like to be pet, but is afraid, get down on the floor and see what he does. Let him approach you. Many cats are hand shy, they don't like hands coming straight at them.

Make sure you have enough spaces for all three cats. At least one cat tower with multiple perches, maybe the top of a tall bookcase..stuff like that. It's good he has the top of the refrigerator, but he might feel more secure if he could maneuver the house, or at least the main rooms, without ever having to get on the floor.

For instance, in my apartment (which, admittedly is tiny) the cats can go from the kitchen , all around the living room, even into the bedroom (with a big leap) without ever touching the floor, and often do, usually at top speed, haha!

Don't forget the rule of thumb, one litter box per cat, plus one. This means 4 litter boxes

Regarding the over feeding of treats, this can become a real problem, as time goes by. Treats are not balanced for proper nutrition, and unless you are feeding freeze dried pure proteins, they are not good for your cats.

You don't say what you are feeding them, but just the treats alone (on top of other food) can create obesity and lead to health problems down the road.

Feed your cats on scheduled meal times. Three times a day is good. Each cat should have his or her own meal spot. Scooter, especially, should be elevated somewhere, so he can feel safe to eat.

Feed your cats a wet (canned food) diet. (or balanced raw) No dry. If you are feeding dry now you will have to transition them off the junk habit.

Limit the amount of treats and use only pure protein healthy treats such as PureBites.

PureBites® Freeze Dried Products For Cats | Purebites.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 06-04-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-04-2017   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

I feed them Meow Mix - Tender Centers. I used to leave them out food all day so they won't get hungry. I guess I shouldn't do that.
Unread 06-04-2017   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Meow mix is a terrible food, very very bad. If you look at the ingredients you will see what I mean. Tons of corn, soy, wheat, dyes, NO MEAT..and dry.

It's pure junk that no cat would ever eat if it wasn't sprayed with animal digest, which is what causes them to become addicted to it.

It's not your fault, you didn't know.

There is no nutrition that a cat can use in that food. All it does is keep them alive, they poop all the junk back out and eventually it will lead to many illnesses.

Aside from obesity, heart disease, diabetes, you'll be faced with all kinds of issues with vomiting, diarrhea, inflammation, urinary tract disorders, kidney disease. None of which will ever be blamed on the "food".

Cats are strict obligate carnivores. What this means is they need meat sources, and moisture from their food, to thrive.

Meow Mix contains NO MEAT.

Cats cannot ever drink enough water to make up for the deficit in a dry diet. They are chronically dehydrated.

This is what I recommend.

First, see how they do with wet. Choose a wet food that contains meat, and no corn or wheat in it. Give them each a little serving of this wet food three times a day. Just a small amount. Give it at the times you intend to become their regular meal times. Don't lift the free feeding bowl just yet.

Gradually, over a period of a few weeks, increase the amount of canned you are feeding at those three meals a day, and decrease the amount of Meow Mix in the bowl.

When they are up to 1/3 of a 5.5 ounce can per meal each, there should be no more than a sprinkle of the meow mix in the bowl each day.

Lift the bowl and continue feeding just the canned food.

If they are overweight you must be extremely careful that they don't lose weight too quickly so weigh them weekly if you can (I use a baby scale).

Don't rush things. this transition should take about a month, before they are on an all canned diet.

If they won't eat the wet food, there is a different method to try so let me know how it goes. Some cats, having never eaten anything but junk food, don't recognize wet food as food. But there is a way to transition those cats too.

I recommend you use a probiotic during the transition, and continue it after. Their systems are so used to that stuff their bodies will have a little trouble coping with real food at first. You may see some diarrhea or vomiting.

A probiotic will help them with that.

When you get them on an all wet diet, you will be amazed at the difference in them.

Here is some info from a vet who specializes in feline nutrition

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 06-04-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Unread 06-04-2017   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks for the advice. Will do. I gave them some wet cat food a few weeks ago - Wow, did they love it. I have some in the cupboard. I' just gave them some. Ever hard of Petguard organics? If so what do you think of it. They seem to love it.

Last edited by Pete; 06-04-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Unread 06-05-2017   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

The Petgaurd organics is fine. Bit heavy on the grains and fruits and veggies, but miles better than Meow Mix.

Once they are completely transitioned onto a wet diet, you will want to branch out a bit. Feed a variety of brands and proteins in rotation. This helps in a number of ways.

It prevents boredom.

Reduces the likelihood of a food allergy developing.

Prevents addiction..where they refuse to eat anything but that one food.

If there is a recall on any one food, the impact will be lessened to your cats, because they don't eat only that one food.

If/when the food is discontinued or the formula is changed (it always happens, always) or recalled, you won't be scrambling to find something else they will eat.

No commercial processed food is perfect. They all have one bad thing or another, or more. Feeding a wide variety helps you avoid too much of one bad thing.

No commercial processed food is perfectly balanced either, in spite of what the manufacturers would have you believe. Feeding a variety helps ensure your cats are getting enough of everything they need, and not too much of anything.

The main thing you need to keep in mind is, cats are strict obligate carnivores. This means they need meat based foods, high in moisture, to thrive. They do not derive much, if any, nutrition from plant based foods. Grains, fruits, vegetables, all get pooped right back out.

They need protein and fat, from meat, and high moisture, and little to no carbohydrates.

please read this first

Tags
adopted , animal , art , cat , cats , cute , dry , female , food , happy , health , hey , house , hurt , kittens , kitties , kitty , love , meow , meowing , pet , problem , stop , videos , vomiting , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links