It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-06-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

edinfa is on a distinguished road
Default Defensive cat.

Hello! I'm from Costa Rica so please, excuse my poor english. I'm relatively new to the cat owner life and, as you can guess, this is my first time in your forum. We have two cats, both of them female, the oldest one is about three years old and the other one is a year younger. Both are neutered and they were adopted when each were two or three months old. They are strictly indoor cats and we (my wife, my daughter and me) love them very much. Some months ago, the oldest cat begun to exhibit a very defensive attitude. It doesn't happen all the time, it's just when she sees another cat outside the windows that she becomes aggressive toward anybody who comes near. Actually, it's like she warns you to keep your distance. Usually, she likes to be petted and she even let us scratch her belly, but she has never tolerated hugs or to be lifted off the floor. Can someone share some light on this matter?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-07-2017   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Pete is on a distinguished road

All of my cats are different. Its because they have different personalities. I have three cats: Bella (female), Scooter (male) and Fluffy (male). Most of the time they all get along. There are times when each one has taken time to clean the others, i.e. licking their fur. But at other times the two male cats stare down Bella and she hisses and growls at them. And they jump at her and sort of attack her. I think they're trying to show her who's boss.

Bella: Sometimes when I come home she hears me walking up the stairs and will be sitting on top of my desk (which is right near the door) and when I come close she'll reach up like she wants me to pick her up and hold her. Melts my heart every time.

Scooter: Hates to be held. Quite often runs away when I try to pet him. Only when he's sitting on the back of the couch, in his kitty bed or on top of the fridge will he let me pet him.

Fluffy: Rarely runs away from me. Often tries to get away from me when I'm holding him. But also often lifts his head to me when I want to pet him.

Summary: Cats are very weird people.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-07-2017   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

It's a real thing, for cats, called displaced aggression. I don't have time now to say more, but you can search for it. There's a lot of info about it and what you can do, some good advice, some not so good. I'll check back later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 06-28-2017   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

It's a slow process, it may take up to 2 or 3 months until cat fully trusts you, and then you'll be able to carry her, and pet her without getting hurt.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-02-2017   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

fatoutandia is on a distinguished road

As all your cats are purely indoor, sometimes the cat expects beyond their situation something new like humans attitude. So, you can bring them outside once a week or a month for a change. It's purely an experimental trial to make our cats comfortable in mutual way of petting.

Tags
adopted , advice , aggression , aggressive , another cat , attack , belly , cat , cats , clean , defensive , female , fur , growls , hey , indoor , kitty , licking , love , mat , pet , scratch , search , weird

Sponsored Cat Links