It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2017   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

GracieAllen is on a distinguished road
Default Cat defecates outside the litterbox - at HOME

I posted this at the catsite, but I thought I might get some ideas from here...

Brownie is an 11-year-old tabby we rescued 10 years ago.

Originally she went in the litter just fine. For several years. Then, she apparently got mega-colon, and was treated for it. It took us a while to realize she had a problem, but once we got her treated she no longer has difficulty or hard stool. She takes Cisapride daily. Her stool is "normal" - not hard, not runny - normal. BUT, it appears that the experience has left her with some mental thing about defecating in the litter - AT HOME.

She urinates in the litterbox. No problem. But, she defecates right in FRONT of the litterbox. Will NOT go IN the litterbox. AT HOME... We also have an RV and she travels with us. In the RV, she ABSOLUTELY goes in the litterbox. It's EXACTLY the same litterbox. It has EXACTLY the same litter. She gets EXACTLY the same food both places... There's NO difference EXCEPT whatever issue she has with using the box at home.

We have MOVED the litter box at home. We have ADDED litterboxes at home. We have changed LITTER in different boxes, trying at least 5 or 6 different litters. We have CONFINED her overnight, when she typically goes. If confined in a crate, she'll go in the litter. Once not confined she goes in front of the litterbox. She has several litter boxes at home, but she uses the one in the kitchen.

If I recall correctly, we tried putting newspaper in front of the litter, but she went off the paper. We tried every idea we could think of, but were never able to get her to go in the litter. She ALWAYS urinates in the box, so there's not a problem with that, but she insists on pooping in front of the box.

SO, we bought a bunch of inexpensive rag rugs, and put one in front of the litter box. She goes on that, we dump it in the litter, throw the rug in the laundry and put down a clean one. So, it's an annoyance, but not a HUGE thing...

So, why try to fix the problem? We had two cats. Our other cat, Skyy, was a wonderful companion, and they got along perfectly from day 1 - we got them both, together, from the same shelter and they never had a problem.

Skyy developed cancer and was euthanized two weeks ago. Though Brownie is a wonderful cat, we both miss having a flaky, energetic cat in the house and would like to introduce a couple kittens if Brownie will accept them.

We'd have to go through the introduction process, which I'll also need some help with, BUT we won't bring in another cat unless we can get Brownie to use the litterbox because how would a kitten (or kittens) understand that pooping outside the litter wasn't acceptable with Brownie is doing that? SO, we'd like to get her back to using the litter at home. Worst case, we'll continue as we are and not bring in any cats while Brownie is with us.

SO, SOMEBODY give me some ideas of procedures or products or SOMETHING that will get her to poop in the litter at home the way she does in the RV, and then hopefully y'all can help us bring in a couple other cats that need a home to join her.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-21-2017   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

GracieAllen is on a distinguished road

Anybody out there?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-22-2017   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Pete is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieAllen View Post
Anybody out there?
Yes. I'm here. I just don't have any idea of how to help. Sorry.

My little scooter refused to use the kitty litter regularly. It took a very long time for me to figure out that he's a little mister fussy pants and have to have a spotless litter for him to use or else he'd pee or poop on the floor. I finally got him using the kitty litter though. I just got rid of my carpet where he loved to pee and poop and then I tried other kitty litters and now I keep the box as clean as I can. Now he seems less particular but he always uses it. Now and then he'll bitch at me when its not clean to his satisfaction though. He has a very distinctive meow for that.

Tags
another cat , box , cat , changed , clean , confined , dry , food , hey , home , house , introduction , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , meow , pee , poop , problem , shelter , tabby

Sponsored Cat Links