It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-26-2017   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Cats don't seem to like tuna

I know that its bad to give tuna to cats too often. But I like to treat them every once in a while. However it seems that they don't want it now. Is that odd for cats? And its not as if just one of them don't want it. Not one of the three seem to want it. Could it be the brand?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-26-2017   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

May be something wrong with it. But like you said, it's not good for them anyway, so if they don't like it, it certainly wouldn't be considered a treat!

Better to give them something good for them for treats such as PureBites freeze dried pure proteins.

PureBites® Freeze Dried Products For Cats | Purebites.com

These are better anyway because can be used interactively. As in "chase the treat" Game. I get the PureBites out and the three cats gather round. I call the cat's name and toss the treat and that cat chases it down. And so on. It's great fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-26-2017   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
But like you said, it's not good for them anyway, so if they don't like it, it certainly wouldn't be considered a treat!
I didn't say that it's not good for them. I said that it;s bad to give tuna to cats too often. The "too often" being the key phrase here. I checked PetMD and they say
Quote:
Cats love seafood, and most cats are especially fond of canned tuna and tuna juice. While tuna is fine for cats in moderation or as a treat, too much canned tuna can be bad for your cat. Fish is a great source of protein, but there are a few reasons why a steady diet of human-grade canned tuna can cause health problems for your cat.
Since cats love seafood its why i want to treat them occasionally. Being disabled I can't afford a great variety of cat foods or fancy things nor do I have the ability to get cat food in any other place than the supermarket. Friends and neighbor gives me cans of chunk tuna for me and my cats. Since I don't like chunk tuna I want my cats to enjoy it.

Quote:
Better to give them something good for them for treats such as PureBites freeze dried pure proteins.
Not available near me. Seems like it may be too expensive for me.

Quote:
These are better anyway because can be used interactively. As in "chase the treat" Game. I get the PureBites out and the three cats gather round. I call the cat's name and toss the treat and that cat chases it down. And so on. It's great fun.
My cats love their "Kitty Treats". Its like cocaine to them. Lol!
Unread 06-27-2017   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

butterflyH is on a distinguished road

Yes that's true Fish increase phosphorus levels of the food. which this can be a problem for cats that cause a kidney disease. Some of cats are sensitive to fish-based diets and develop urinary tract problems that resolve when fish is removed from their diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by butterflyH; 06-27-2017 at 04:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterflyH For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-27-2017   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I wouldn't be using PetMD as a source for nutrition advice on cats. Tuna IS very bad for cats. For a number of reasons.

High in heavy metals, including mercury. Blocks the absorption of thiamine, an essential B vitamin, creating a deficiency. High in minerals including phosphorus. Can be addictive, the cat won't eat anything else.

I wouldn't advise feeding any cat tuna, or any other fish at all, ever.

And human tuna is of course not balanced for cats. If they don't like it, is another reason to not give it to them. Smart cats, they seem to know the worst things for them, human tuna and meow mix. Neither should ever be given to a cat.

please read this first
Unread 06-27-2017   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

There's no such thing as a bad food. There's only such thing as a bad diet. It's not possible for tuna to be bad for your cat. Only a diet of tuna can be bad. The same thing holds for people as well as all other animals. In fact no person should have a diet which is high in tuna.

As far as PetMD goes - It'd be unwise for me to reject such a site for no apparent reason. No offense but I can't take the word of someone I don't know over the word of experts.

PetMD is merely one site that I quoted. I never take advice from a single source, never.

You see, I'm a physicist, and I know from 30 years experience as a physicist that in all likelihood any one source of information will have errors in it. Heck. Even Einstein made mistakes. In fact he made a mistake in his famous paper on special relativity. I can point out physics journal articles which are peer reviewed which contain errors. In fact the most widely held "fact" in physics is that "gravity is a curvature in spacetime" and that's wrong. Who said it was wrong? Well, Einstein for one. And then there's a friend of mine who's a world renown expert on relativity and Einstein who says so. In fact he's the one who I learned it from. Actually I knew it was true when I learned relativity. He just confirmed if for me. But he did write a paper on t. He's the former editor of the Einstein Papers Project.

It's only when you use several sources, all of which agree, that one should listen. And that's what I've done.

Here's what I know - A bit of tuna is fine. Just don't make a habit of it by giving them too much. I.e. a little bit of tuna every now and then is fine. Many sources confirm this for me. Too few people don't distinguish being good in moderation with being good all the time. How often have we seen people refuse to eat a particular food because it was high in fact? Too often. Being high in fact is no reason not to eat a food. Having foods which are high in fact in all your meals is bad.
Unread 06-27-2017   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I didn't say tuna was a "bad food" I said "tuna is bad for cats". Suit yourself. Tuna and Meow Mix. Glad I won't have your vet bills. Sorry your cats will have to suffer from your stubbornness on being willing to learn about feline nutrition.

You're new to cats. I've had cats all my life and since the 2007 melamine poisoning when tens of thousands of pets were killed due to melamine poisoned pet food, (look it up. I think there were over 50 brands of dog food and 40 brands of cat food involved) I've made it my business to learn about feline nutrition, and the pet food industry.

Do you know about the Evanger's scandal, that started a few months ago? Pets dying, because of pentobarbital (euthanasia drug)in a food labeled "human grade". And the cats dying in Australia from a supposedly "high end" pet food called Weruva?

You want experts? I already gave you the link to a vet to specializes in feline nutrition.

www.catinfo.org

Here's a few more by Dr Jean Hofve DVM

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...rous-for-cats/

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...ssed-to-death/

http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutritio...-contaminants/

Here's a site that explains why cats need a diet high in meat and moisture. Another site, that is.

www.feline-nutriton.org

www.catcentric.org is another.

You may wonder why I'm so passionate about this. Because I have a cat who suffers every day of her life from those crap diets. And I belong to a group - Raw Feeding for feline IBD, where I see hundreds of cats every day, suffering from these diets.

http://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

I participate in a lot of pet forums. Everywhere, on every board, there are cats suffering from diarrhea,vomiting (vets will tell you it's "normal") urinary tract disease, surgical removal of the p enis because of urinary tract blockages, constipation, diabetes (never heard of in cats until dry food was invented) obesity, kidney disease..the list goes on.

You obviously care about your cats. Since you have the time, why not actually do some learning about what is really the right thing s for your cats to eat.

Incidentally: PetMD is run by advertisers, not "experts".

PetMD is the Dr Phil of the internet world. lol. Or is it Dr Oz. Both quacks anyway.

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 06-27-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Unread 06-27-2017   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
I didn't say tuna was a "bad food" I said "tuna is bad for cats". Suit yourself. Tuna and meow Mix. Glad I won't have your vet bills.
What a bad way to talk to someone. Playing with semantics never helps an argument.

When I said There's no such thing as a bad food. it quite literally means [iThere's no such thing as a food that's bad for cats. Hint: It didn't mean that the food was morally corrupt.

Its also in poor taste to expect people to accept you, someone I have no idea why they are, as an expert in such things. Especially when you're in disagreement with such organizations as the society for the protection of cruelty of animals (where I got one my cats). Notice once again that I said "such as" meaning that its merely one example.

For decades I've seen people on the internet expect others to accept them as experts in what they hold to be true for decades and who don't provide substantial reasons for them. And by that I don't mean a website or two. In my case it as physics but I know its not restricted to that. Its also in very poor taste to try to scare people here into thinking their cats will get sick if they don't follow your particular brand of cat diets.

Other people here have been nice to me and now because I don't take your word as God's word you try to misinterpret what I post and then scare me with that - Goodbye forum. Good luck with people like him.
Unread 06-27-2017   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
What a bad way to talk to someone. Playing with semantics never helps an argument.

When I said There's no such thing as a bad food. it quite literally means [iThere's no such thing as a food that's bad for cats. Hint: It didn't mean that the food was morally corrupt.
There are, in fact many foods that are bad for cats. Tuna is only one. There are a number of foods that will poison cats, or kill them. There are many that will just make them sick. There are many cats cannot digest.

Wherever you are getting your information, it is wrong, and it is your cats who will suffer, if you don't start learning more about what it is okay to feed cats and what it is not.

You said you read on PetMD that tuna isn't bad for cats?

Well check this one out..straight from petmd:

Harmful Foods Your Cat Should Never Eat: Tuna, Milk, Raw Fish, and More

But the fact that they'll walk away from a piece of bad meat doesn't mean they'll bypass an open can of tuna. And that can of tuna can be just as dangerous.

Here's a list of some toxic foods. Not just bad-toxic.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ding-your-pets

But Pete, cats are strict obligate carnivores. They need meat and nutrition from meat, to thrive. Corn, wheat, rice, oats, are all "bad for cats".

Peas are inflammatory. Fruits and vegetables cannot be digested, they just poop them back out.

Quote:
For decades I've seen people on the internet expect others to accept them as experts in what they hold to be true for decades and who don't provide substantial reasons for them. And by that I don't mean a website or two. In my case it as physics but I know its not restricted to that. Its also in very poor taste to try to scare people here into thinking their cats will get sick if they don't follow your particular brand of cat diets.
I didn't say anything about "my brands of diets" All I suggested was that you learn about feline nutrition and what is good for them and what is not. You've chosen to take a site run by advertisements as gospel truth. I've already shown you that you can just as quickly find the exact opposite on the very same website.

There are good reliable, true, sites out there, that have nothing to gain by offering you true information. Give them a read why don't you. It's your cats i care about, not your feelings.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition

CatCentric – Feline nutrition, general health and behavior. Better lives through better care!

feline-nutrtion.org

Little Big Cat | Mind-Body Consulting for Cats

please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 06-27-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Tags
advice , art , cat , cat's , cats , diet , fish , food , friends , fun , game , great , health , hey , ibd , joy , kitty , love , meow , nutrition , person , problem , problems , project , smart , vomiting , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links