It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-29-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default How to Toilet-Train Your Cat: 21 Days to a Litter-Free Home

Paul Kunkel, who toilet-trained his first cat while in college and who has continued to train his own and his friends' cats ever since, presents a foolproof, 21-Day-Program for teaching any litter-trained cat between the ages of 6 months and 10 years to use a toilet instead of a litter box. (Older cats can still be trained, but the process will probably take longer.) Requiring nothing more than magazines and/or newspapers, masking tape, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and a supply of fresh litter, the plan begins with you placing the box next to the toilet and, after gradually raising it to the height of the seat, ends with the cat--well, using it like any other member of the family. For life.

Along the way, concerned owners learn why toilet-trained cats may be happier and healthier cats. In well-researched, fact-filled text, Kunkel traces the history and behavior of this barely domesticated animal and proves why the box is bad for cats; why many cats equate the smell of a litter box with danger; and why the fragrances, deodorants, dyes, and disinfectants found in most litters are detrimental to your pet's well-being.
Customer Review: It worked for us
Most of the book contains information about how to litter train a kitten, but the last 20ish pages are the key. Our cat, Fenway, was not successful in just 21 days and required the alternate method. But, we are litter free now and have been for about two weeks. Plus, we really didn't need to buy anything new for this book. We had everything on hand. It was a bit annoying at the plastic wrap time as we had to leave our apartment to find another toilet. It would be nice if it had other chapters such as "Adding a second cat to your house" and "Moving to a new home." Check out this blog for photos of our Fenway in action--baggypantsandbravado.blogspot.c0m.
Customer Review: Get a Citikitty Instead!
I bought this book recently after being fed up with cleaning the cat box, stepping on litter that had fallen out, and lugging a ginormous amount of litter up stairs. The majority (2/3) of this book is about cat behavior, even to what your cat's meows mean. In essence, why cats do what they do and how they have the potential to be toilet trained. I did more research on the internet before I began Kunkel's method. His method, for me at least, would involve more money being spent than I was inclined to spend (new box that fit the size specifications, undeoderized litter to wean my cats off of the deoderized kind, etc.). Plus, his last few steps involve saran wrap and tape that goes over the bowl of the toilet. In other words, I feel there is a lot of potential for psychological damage for the cat - and maybe the owner, too! Instead, I purchased a CITIKITTY (www.citikitty.com). My cats used it immediately - 20 minutes out of the box - and I am highly satisfied with the results so far. It is filled with litter and fits over the bowl of the toilet, under the seat. It is durable enough that the cats can stand in it and it is easy enough to take off when I need to use the toilet (no adhesives or other mess). A hole is made in the center that gradually gets larger so that the cat is forced to stand on the seat itself. Toilet training your cat is an exercise in classical conditioning, whatever methodology you use. Go slow and with the pace of your cat. Good luck!

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
animal , apartment , behavior , blog , book , box , cat , cat behavior , cat's , cats , cleaning , family , found , free , friends , hey , home , house , internet , kitten , litter , litter box , mess , money , moving , new home , nice , pet , photos , smell , training

Sponsored Cat Links