It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-29-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default Polo's Mother (Cat Pack)

Polohas always longed to find his mother. All he remembers is that she was soft and warm and smelled of milk. So when sassy, street-smart Geraldine returns, she isn't exactly the mother he expected. But Polo is still thrilled to have found her and is eager to show her off to his pack of friends in the Club of Mysteries.
As usual, there are many mysteries to be solved. Does the light inside a refrigerator turn off when the door is shut? What is at the top of a church steeple, anyway? But perhaps the most puzzling mystery of all is one Polo cannot figure out: Does his mother truly love him? If so, can he convince her to change her roaming ways and stay?
Irresistible to cat lovers everywhere, this is a heartening conclusion to Phyllis Reynolds Naylor's Cat Pack series.

Customer Review: one very sharp mother
I have purchased all the books in this series for children in my family.I have the habit of reading the books I buy for the kids first so I get no surprises.Texas Jake and his club could be any group of children, oops cats, any where. The characters of the cats are well deefined by this volume, but it is not necessary to read the previous novels to understand who is who or whats going on. TJ is a bully who finally meets his match in Marco and Polo's street wise mother.He is head of the "Club of Mysteries." Together they ponder mysteries that they encounter in their everyday lives. But Jake has a habit of assigning hazardous mysteries to the young brothers Marco and Polo to solve.The timely appearence of their mother saves them from harm and caused Texas Jake no end of jealousy and fear of losing his place as leader of the cats. The book is age appropriate and will be fun to read. The attitudes and actions of the cats can easily be transfered to the lives of children and parents can have an opportunity to talk about bullies, reckless acts, and how Mothers (even foot loose street wise one's)have lessons to teach.
Customer Review: Polo Finds His Mother
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor brings us the fourth gift in her series on the doings of the cat brothers Marco and Polo, and, once again, manages to write a children's book that adults can enjoy. This one is particularly poignant because Polo has spent the first three volumes in the series wistfully wishing he could see his mother again. But, when Mom, a veteran alley cat named Geraldine, finally shows up one day she's not exactly what Polo was expecting. Geraldine has quite an impact upon the Club of Mysteries, of which Marco and Polo are members, managing to go toe-to-toe with the hardscrabble Texas Jake. But, in the end, Polo, of course, winds up finding the motherly affection he has so long desired. Ms. Naylor has a particular knack for writing stories that have genuine appeal to both adults and children. The characters are both complex and accessible, and the humor is both broad and subtle. I had to stop and explain to my 8 year-old daughter several times why I was laughing so hard. She manages to capture the reality of the world in which the cats must live, a world which has its share of danger, death, and indignity, without giving children nightmares. If I have one criticism of "Polo's Mother," it is that some of the crisis moments don't seem to flow out of the story quite as smoothly as in the first three volumes. All of the other adversaries from the previous stories show up at one time or another, and I didn't always find their entries into the story convincing. But, this is a minor quibble with what is otherwise a five-star work of children's fiction. One word of advice: Don't try to read any of the Marco and Polo books out of sequence. Start with volume one and read them in order. And read them slowly and savor them.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
advice , books , bully , cat , cat lovers , cats , children , crisis , family , fiction , found , friends , fun , gift , hey , humor , joy , lovers , moments , oops , smart , stop , stories , story

Sponsored Cat Links