It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-29-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler

Based on police wiretaps and exclusive interviews with drug kingpins and hip-hop insiders, this is the untold story of how the streets and housing projects of southeast Queens took over the rap industry.

For years, rappers from Nas to Ja Rule have hero-worshipped the legendary drug dealers who dominated Queens in the 1980s with their violent crimes and flashy lifestyles. Now, for the first time ever, this gripping narrative digs beneath the hip-hop fables to re-create the rise and fall of hustlers like Lorenzo “Fat Cat” Nichols, Gerald “Prince” Miller, Kenneth “Supreme” McGriff, and Thomas “Tony Montana” Mickens. Spanning twenty-five years, from the violence of the crack era to Run DMC to the infamous murder of NYPD rookie Edward Byrne to Tupac Shakur to 50 Cent’s battles against Ja Rule and Murder Inc., to the killing of Jam Master Jay, Queens Reigns Supreme is the first inside look at the infamous southeast Queens crews and their connections to gangster culture in hip hop today.
Customer Review: Read It ASAP
No matter what you're reading, put it to the side for a bit, especially if it's fiction. This is fact. Everyone from 13 to 43 should read this book. If you lived through the crack era you should read this book. If you grew up anywhere in the five boroughs of New York can identify, you can remember the stories, you can remember the fear you can remember the body count delivered on the front page of the newspaper. If you remember being afraid to ride the trains and welcomed the site of the red tams you should read this book. Brown impressed me with the thoroughness and professionalism of his work. He didn't try to sell us mythical figures or misguided youth. He simply told the story as it was, as it is. If you have African American youth in your life give them this book. Buy them their own copy; make them read it because they need to know. The youth of today weren't there in the 80's and 90's. They think the rappers they like are "gangsta". No matter how hard you try to tell these kids that you can't be a multi-millionaire rapper and gangsta, what you think the police wouldn't notice. Real ganstas hustle to get out of the ghetto and are hardly concerned about keeping it real. I say all that to make this point...Queens Reigns Supreme is the book that can challenge a generation to question the direction that rap is going. This is a book that can open eyes and cause a life changing thought process. The revelation of a number of things in this book will have you seeing things in a new light. If you never invested in a book starting with this one would be a good choice.
Customer Review: The Realness
This book is not a fictional "hood" farce as I initially thought upon seeing it in the store. After reading the abstract on the back cover, I was compelled to read the Preface and first two chapters while still sitting in the store. I purchased the book and read it in less than 48 hours. I literally could not put it down. It is filled with the TRUE stories of Queens hustlers like the Supreme Team and Pappy Mason. These are hood icons that you may hear about in a rap record but never know who they really were. This book does an excellent job of conveying the street savvy and relentlessness of these hustlers who amassed millions as well as carefully cataloguing their down fall. There are times where you read the book and almost hear these figures talking to you or reading what was going through their minds at the time. You see them on top of the world as well as at the bottom of the barrel. You see them as violent and fearless as well as seeing them desperate and vulnerable. The connection that is drawn to the current hip hop music and culture is drawn seemlessly. There are a lot of familiar names and some unfamiliar stories. Some truths come out and we see who is "gangsta" and who's not. This is a must read for anyone interested in Urban History/ Culture.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
african , bat , book , brown , cat , eyes , fiction , hey , mat , new york , prince , question , stories , story

Sponsored Cat Links