It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-29-2006   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Breezy
admin has disabled reputation
Send a message via twitter to admin
Default Touch Not the Cat

Bryony Ashley knows that her family's grand estate is both hell and paradise -- once elegant and beautiful, yet mired in debt and shrouded in shadow. Devastated by her father;s sudden strange death abroad, she is nonetheless relieved to learn the responsibility of running Ashley Court has fallen to a cousin. Still, her father's final, dire warning about a terrible family curse haunts her days and her dreams.

Customer Review: Simply magical
This was the first Mary Stewart book I read 30 years ago and it was entirely captivating from page one. I loved the ESP aspect, the intrigue, the ancient history that's the mystery. It's just a wonderful story to get lost in. I subsequently have read numerous other of Mary Stewart's books, but find this one my favorite. Her novels set in Greece depict more "lady-like" situations: while the protagonist is in danger, it's of a tamer variety and a kiss with the male lead seals her romantic fate. Nice, escapist fiction.
Customer Review: mystery and romance with a psychic touch
This is an old friend I turn to when I want to get away for awhile. The story(ies) are well written, the characters are believable and the setting is done so well it would be tempting to try and locate 'Ashley Court' on a trip to England. In other words this is yet another wonderfully done Mary Stewart. The story centers around Bryony Ashley, her family and the family estate and psychic link they share. The story moves swifty, beginning with the death-by-suspicious-circumstances of Bryony's father which forces her return to Ashley Court, the family home. Her cousins, the townspeople and tenants of the Court all enter into the story. Past family scandals surface interlaced with "Romeo and Juliet' references enter into the Bryony's life as she struggles to sort out her family's past issues, present dilemmas, and future. The psychic link is not overdone, it appears just enough to add interest to the story. The mystery has just enough twists to keep the reader interested and surpised. The action is intense and the romance is sweet. This vintage (1976) book has aged well. I have recommended it to both high school students and my mother with no complaints from anyone.

More...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content

Tags
beautiful , book , books , cat , family , fiction , greece , hey , home , lost , male , nice , present , romantic

Sponsored Cat Links