It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-13-2009   #1 (permalink)
birdie87

Default first thread, help appreciated

hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone could help me out i'll have to tell you the background details so if you could bare with me it'd be great.

Well 2 years ago I was living with my dad we had a male cat, neutered of course. We knew of someone with a litter of 3 and me and a family member took two remaining kittens when they didn't find a home. I had a female, my family member the male.

She was a tiny cat and still hasn't grown very much. She was registered under my fathers name and I wanted her spayed as soon as she could be done, however our vet will not allow anyone other than the owner they have on their books to take her, even with a phone call or permission they'll see no one else with their pet. My dad worked and never had the time to take her. She was a house cat so there was never a chance of her getting pregnant but I still wanted her done.

Anyway a year after we got her, she started getting round in the tummy and stuffing her face. She was always a loving cat sittin in the sink while you put your make up on, or on the side of the bath while your in it, shes a very loyal, loving cat but when she started to get round and things she wouldn't leave your side at all. However, we knew she couldn't be pregnant but she was showing all signs of it, including her nipples pinking. After a few weeks her tummy went down and her behaviour went back to normal but this was after she had tried nesting and all sorts it was horrible to see her go through this process and it was destressing for her.

A few months later and she went through it again. We got a kitten at that time, taking it from somewhere which was OVERCROWDED with cats. We took him home and our lil girl thought he was her kitten. She mothered him, letting him suckle, which of course we tried to discourage, she'd clean him and carry him and he'd cry if she was out of distance.

I moved out and took her with me, there is already one cat in the house we moved into, he is neutered so there wasn't a problem. We moved onto the second floor and after a week or so she started to call, digging her nails in the carpet and pulling along screaming and worst of all just walking up to things and peeing on them.

Her litter is on the balcony and she started to go out there alot more which never bothered us as like i said we are on the second floor. SO she made a friend who called up to her and she called down to. We went to bed and she would normally come but stayed downstairs, the calling got louder and louder to the point that at 5 in the morning the person we live with got up to find her, only to find she had jumped off the balcony for the tom. By this point we were all up and there were 4 toms in the garden all surrounding our lil girlie.. she had sure been busy.

We blocked the cat flap and brought the litter box in but she managed to move the boxes and stuff we blocked it with and got out again. This time being more quiet when she met the toms. That day we couldn't get her in and by the time we got her it was 12o'clock at night and she had been well and truly mated from the sounds she had made.

Now its two weeks later and she eats over double her amount, she has no interest in jumping off the landing (although we have now blocked off the bottom of the fence), she only wakes up to eat and then she sleeps again. She gets excited when we go to bed because she loves to cuddle up in bed with us, and yes i mean literally in bed, she gets inbetween me and my partner and snuggles up, and if she can't get under she'll sleep on us, where as before she would sleep by us or at the bottom of the bed.

I know at two weeks there won't be too many symptoms, but like i said she is a very small size, and is looking a tad rounder and bigger when she sits than normal. She has been sick everyday this week but isn't ill in herself.

The thing is she is still under my dads name and I would like to get her done, i would go to a private vet that wouldn't need my dad but would cost alot when money is tight, but i will not get her done if she is pregnant as I feel i let this situation arise so should deal with it. However I am wondering could this be another phantom pregnancy because I don't want her to go through that again, difference is she actually mated this time.

I know this is very very long but any help or advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome!

It could be another phantom pregnancy, but since she got out I have a feeling it's the real thing. What the heck is wrong with your father, not letting her get spayed?

Now here you are stuck with more unwanted kittens, just what the world doens't need.

My suggestion is to register her as a different cat under your name and go from there, or go to another vet. She's going to need vet care eventually anyway so this vet problem needs to be taken care of now.

They can still spay a cat that's not too far along but some people do have a problem with that concept

This problem (constant heats, getting out and getting pregnant) will continue until she is fixed, or until she gets pyrometra (an infection of the uterus, not too uncommon in unspayed females and usually fatal)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-13-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I think this time is the real thing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-22-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Oh no !

I'm afraid it's too late by now... Let us know if she gets finally pregnant or not. Acer's suggestion to register her under a different name would probably work,but of course if she isn't pregnant. If she is, then you need to wait after the babies are born. Hope for the best !
Unread 03-23-2009   #5 (permalink)
birdie87

thanks for the advice, i posted on another forum aswell but I don't think most people read it properly and some people were a bit mean blaming me even though I explained my circumstances.
acerlt, thank you for your reply, I actually never thought of registering her as another cat, such a simple answer I should have thought about it before thank you. As for my dad he um his a person that sort of thinks the world will take care of its self and he has no responsabiliteis I'm afraid this spreads all the way across his life in all areas.

Thank you all for being helpfull and not judging me.
Hope mated on the 25th/26th of feb i know this as its the only time she escaped but was out from 5am untill 12am the next day which would make her 4 weeks this thurs, unfortunatley even though it is probably easiest to have the kittens removed while getting her spayed I would prefer not to do this, as I say I take full responsability for this situation. I will find homes that i will vet and make sure are appropriate first and if some don't find homes I will take care of them and make sure they are SPAYED/NUETERED as soon as old enough, as they will be under my full care.

Just a little update from last time I posted Hope is eating probably 4 times her normal amount when she is not eating she is sleeping or trying to get me to cuddle her Her nipples are pinking but haven't grown very large, is that normal? I have a huge um I don't know what to call it its like a cage but its not mean or anything i just thought it was a safe place for her it has blankets in it and is right by my bed, it could hold a small/medium dog so thought it'd be big anough for her and any kittens she might have. Its right by my bed but she still prefers under the covers with me is that ok? Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks for all your help and welcoming. I will most definatley keep everyone updated

Unread 03-23-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Don't feel bad ..

Don't feel condemned, you're just being confused, as much as I was when I first learnt how complicated your situationn was, until Acer came up (Fortunately, I did''t have to go through it myself). It's a big relief to know that you have properly planned everything, as I mentioned earlier, Acer's suggestion is the most considerable, and apparently, you're happy to take it into consideration. It's also wonderful to know that Hope can be under your full care. I'm pretty sure, you are a responsible pet owner, and unlike your dad, you know how to deal with your Hope's being fixed, new additions, and getting them also spayed/neutered etc. When there is a will, there is a way. We are with you !
Unread 03-23-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Acer help !!
Unread 03-23-2009   #8 (permalink)
birdie87

thanks irene, I want the best for her and I know that includes getting her spayed.
I just wanted to ask something else sorry to everyone for all the questions, last night I was in bed and hope always snuggles in and likes to feel me touching her especially now and she crawled under till her tummy was under my hand, i moved it to her leg but she dug her claws in and pulled it back so i left it there because I was still awake and knew I wouldn't but too much weight on it. Then it sort of rippled and I thought it was too early to feel kittens so i assumed it was food but she started growling (which she never does) i moved my hand thinking it might be irritating her but then she half sat up and stared at her tummy and growled, then layed back down and pulled my hand back. Does this mean she doesn't like the kittens there or is it just an unusual feeling. Should I keep an extra eye on her when they come. I am probably just over worrying but would rather as and look silly than not know.

Unread 03-24-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Acer help !!
What happened????!!!!! you cannot live without her hmmm

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-24-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

No Maya, I was just crying for help, hoping that someone experienced like Acer, or maybe you, can help answer this additional question, coz I don't have any experience with kitty giving birth to babies ... I know many of you have this kind of experience, so please help her and Hope. Thanks everyone !

Tags
advice , another cat , behaviour , birth , books , box , care , carpet , cat , cats , claws , clean , crying , dog , eating , eye , food , girl , great , growling , hey , home , homes , house , infection , jumping , kittens , litter box , loving , male , money , nails , night , not eating , peeing , person , pet , pregnant , silly , sleeping , small , spayed , vet , weight

Sponsored Cat Links