It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
LoveMyBrit

Smile Is there a way??

Is there a way to have testing done to see if your cat is purebred? I rescued my British Shorthair from the humane society, and think she would make an excellent show cat. She's perfect according to standard, but I have no papers. Any ideas?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb British short hair

I think you need to talk to the British short hair breeder.. they sure know more about this breed and somehow give you some advice...
All my three are show cats too, they have proved it to everyone who saw their pictures...hehe.. regardless of their breeds or ancestral report, I approved them all !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBrit View Post
Is there a way to have testing done to see if your cat is purebred? I rescued my British Shorthair from the humane society, and think she would make an excellent show cat. She's perfect according to standard, but I have no papers. Any ideas?
Hi & welcome,

I'm owned by a pedigreed British Blue Shorthair called Lady Brenda.

I never heard of any test as you above mention. The only thing that counts are the papers. In order to be a show cat, the cats associations needs the "story" of your cat: who is his mother/father, grands... etc, his pedigree.
To be sure, you can ask in some of the cat's associations like CFA, AACE, FIFE, ACFA, etc.

Good luck,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 04-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
LoveMyBrit

Smile

I don't know how I would find out. A little old lady used to own her, and when she passed away, her relatives brought her to the humane society without any papers. This was 5 years ago now, and I dont even know the name of the old lady or anything.

Unread 04-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyBrit View Post
I don't know how I would find out. A little old lady used to own her, and when she passed away, her relatives brought her to the humane society without any papers. This was 5 years ago now, and I dont even know the name of the old lady or anything.
Are you sure she had papers? Maybe not...

Unread 04-20-2009   #6 (permalink)
LoveMyBrit

Cool

Honestly, no. I wish I had an opportunity to speak with the relatives (the ones who brought her to the humane society) but they were in and out, and my father, who actually worked in the back area of the humane society, went ahead and picked her up without knowing what her breed was. When he brought her home I was like oh my gosh, do you know what that is?!

She's perfect by every standard. I just wish someone could look at her and say yes, thats a Brit, its official, even though i pretty much already know, I guess I just want a breeder or something to look at her.

Unread 04-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Talking

Is there any Brit breeder in your area? You can also google "cat associations" & maybe you can contact someone close to you who can see your cat...

Unread 05-18-2009   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Was she chipped when brought to the Humane society? The chip might point to her pedigree name which would give you a chance of tracking down her breeders and papers for her.
Unread 05-19-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I don't know about cats, but I have heard it's possible to have dogs tested to establish what breed they are, here in England, so I would imagine that it is possible to do so in the U.S, but I understand that it is very expensive. You could ask your vet to see if they can help they maybe able to point you in the right direction, if they don't do it there.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!

Tags
advice , breed , breeder , breeders , breeds , british , cat , cat's , cats , dogs , hey , home , pictures , shorthair , story , test , vet

Sponsored Cat Links