It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
blueynevey

Default Need expert advice about kittens

Hello Experts!!
My Evleyn's 4 kittens are 17 days old and looking incredibly healthy! Their Mama found a happy home for them inside my walk in closet and they have been in there( rarely disturbed by us humans) for most of their lives.
I know my closet is a safe and comfortable place for Evelyn and her babies but I am beginning to worry about the closet's total darkness 24/7 for them??
Sometimes when I go in to check I of course turn on the light but only for a minute or so- the babies squeel when I do it and now I think because they are not used to it- the light may be hurting their newly opened eyes! Will Evelyn ever bring the babies out of there?? Should I perhaps think of bringing them out?? Should I leave the light on a little more??
I don't want to do anything that my cause harm or emotional stress but I am concerned about the unnatural non stop darkness! Even ferel cats babies have night and day time..
Can someone help me please??

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

I understand your concerns. do not worry. It's been 17 days that means they will come out soon. It is perfectly OK to leave the entire litter to the mother in the first 2 - 3 weeks, but you might want to make sure that all the kittens continue getting enough milk from the mama cat so they can all grow healthily together.

By the time it reaches the 3rd or 4th week, you can start slowly interacting with the kittens, but do it very gently and subtly. The mama cat might still be a bit uneasy about letting others touch her babies, so do it for small intervals, so that the kittens can start socializing with humans.

It is so awesome that you have a litter of kittens. They must be super adorable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

You should be more worried about who you are going to give them to then when they are going to appear out of the closet.. I hate to tell you this but most kittens do not go into good homes, look up a poem called Free Kittuns, on ABOUT.com These fates DO happen every year to MILLIONS of kittens.

Please do not give them away until they are 3 months or older, the longer they stay with mom the better. And don't give them away for free.

A good site to visit is www.StopDeclaw.com, once you see this,you'll understand why I don't think adopting out to anyone planning on de clawing is good.

The best thing you can do is Socialize and play with the kittens, if mom is tame try to hold the kittens when if she leaves the nest, the more they are held the better temperments they will have. Spay/neuter BEFORE giving them away.

When time does come make a selling contract in it state.

Indoor only, unless an enclosed yard.

No de-clawing

Not to an owner thats either really old(over 50) or really young ( under 8 or 9).- Note I'm sure there are many great owners out there that fall into this, but the fact remains a cat is a very long lived animal( oldest recorded is 37 and still living!!), How can you be sure a 60 year old wont someday have to go into a nursing home that don't allow pets, leaving a 10 year old cat homeless or that a 6 year old wont sit on the kitten or give it a bath.

Not to people with cat Allergies.

Only feed foods like Innova EVO, Wellness or instincts.

And allow 3 follow up visits to check on kitten.

Last edited by PantherPride; 08-01-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Tags
adorable , advice , allergies , animal , art , babies , bath , cat , cats , clawing , eyes , found , free , great , happy , healthy , hey , home , homeless , homes , kitten , kittens , litter , natural , neuter , night , play , small , socialize , spay , spay/neuter , stop , stress , worry

Sponsored Cat Links