It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

hellsing3518 is on a distinguished road
Default Something wrong with one of my kittens

My cat had 5 kittens and they are healthy. I came home today and one of the kittens is acting weird and she is cold and not eating...any suggestions why she would be acting this way...

Last edited by hellsing3518; 08-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

You should go to the vet ASAP. The kitten is still very young and very vulnerable. Have it checked.
Unread 08-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry to say it sounds like this little baby is dying or has already died.

I hope you intend to get the mother, and the remaining kittens, and your boy kitten, fixed soon.

I'm afraid I am not all excited about pregnant cats and new kittens. there are already too many unwanted kittens in this world, you should not be breeding your cat.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-29-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Raglady is on a distinguished road

Yet another perfect example why no-one, other than registered breeders should not be allowing their cats to become pregnant & having countless litters of kittens. As soon as something goes drastically wrong, as in this case, they're straight on the forum asking for advice! When allowing a cat to have kittens, no thought goes into what happens if the pregnant cat needs a caesarean, & the vet fees incurred. No thoughts where, should the mother die after giving birth, how are you going to manage to hand rear them? No thought goes into the extra cost of feeding a pregnant/lactating queen, they need 3 times as much food hence 3 x cost! Then the extra food for the kittens until they're fully weaned. Worming, de-flea'ing, neutering/spaying vaccinating & microchipping etc all add to the cost & that's not including any unexpected vet bills should your cat/kittens become ill! Especially if it's a viral illness then the vets bill multiplies considerably! Then there's the problem of finding suitable forever homes for all the kittens. What are you going to do if you can't find homes for them all?
Please get your cats neutered/spayed, as Acerlt mentioned there are far too many unwanted kittens in this world, we don't need any more.
Unread 08-29-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglady View Post
Yet another perfect example why no-one, other than registered breeders should not be allowing their cats to become pregnant & having countless litters of kittens. As soon as something goes drastically wrong, as in this case, they're straight on the forum asking for advice! When allowing a cat to have kittens, no thought goes into what happens if the pregnant cat needs a caesarean, & the vet fees incurred. No thoughts where, should the mother die after giving birth, how are you going to manage to hand rear them? No thought goes into the extra cost of feeding a pregnant/lactating queen, they need 3 times as much food hence 3 x cost! Then the extra food for the kittens until they're fully weaned. Worming, de-flea'ing, neutering/spaying vaccinating & microchipping etc all add to the cost & that's not including any unexpected vet bills should your cat/kittens become ill! Especially if it's a viral illness then the vets bill multiplies considerably! Then there's the problem of finding suitable forever homes for all the kittens. What are you going to do if you can't find homes for them all?
Please get your cats neutered/spayed, as Acerlt mentioned there are far too many unwanted kittens in this world, we don't need any more.
'

I agree on all points and going to a forum to ask for such serious matters is not even something one should consider. One should consult a vet with no doubt.
Unread 08-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglady View Post
Yet another perfect example why no-one, other than registered breeders should be allowing their cats to become pregnant & having countless litters of kittens. As soon as something goes drastically wrong, as in this case, they're straight on the forum asking for advice! When allowing a cat to have kittens, no thought goes into what happens if the pregnant cat needs a caesarean, & the vet fees incurred. No thoughts where, should the mother die after giving birth, how are you going to manage to hand rear them? No thought goes into the extra cost of feeding a pregnant/lactating queen, they need 3 times as much food hence 3 x cost! Then the extra food for the kittens until they're fully weaned. Worming, de-flea'ing, neutering/spaying vaccinating & microchipping etc all add to the cost & that's not including any unexpected vet bills should your cat/kittens become ill! Especially if it's a viral illness then the vets bill multiplies considerably! Then there's the problem of finding suitable forever homes for all the kittens. What are you going to do if you can't find homes for them all?
A perfect post if ever there was one!
Unread 08-29-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I hope that you have been able to get the mother and her kittens to the vets, it would seem that your kitten was dying, unforunately, it does happen, it would be advisable to get the mother cat spayed as soon as possible, I do hope that your other kittens are alright and that you can find good homes for them, unless you are keeping them in which case you should get them spayed/neutered as soon as they are old enough! Congratulations on your new family.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 08-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

hellsing3518 is on a distinguished road

So I guess unless you're a breeder you shouldn't even own/have cats by some of y'alls logic. My gf comes on here asking for help and some of you act all high and mighty.

Obsessed much?

BTW the cat bolted out the front door and got pregnant. IT WASN'T BREED.

Hope that's big enough for all you that assumed to read.

Now as far as getting her fixed that was planned the day after she went outside. Stuff happens in life and you deal with it. Plain and simple.

She came on here asking for help and was VERY worried, yet some of you act like it's mandatory to dis her. She takes great care of all her cats.

Good day.
Unread 08-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thank you for giving us more of the story. What has happened with the kitten?

Just because the cat got out the day before she was due to be spayed is no reason not to spay her as scheduled.

And you have a boy cat too, I understand, wondered if he was neutered. So I am guilty, yes, of making the assumption that the mother cat was bred by the boy cat. If I am wrong about that I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Yes, "it happens". But there is no reason for it to happen. Unless this cat is only four or five months old herself, she's been through more than one heat. And you either didn't follow through with the spay, or, if I misunderstood your comment, didn't decide to do it until you knew she was already pregnant. So there is about a two week window there where these kittens still could have been prevented.

But, now that you've got the kittens, their lives are your responsibility, so when you come home and find a cold unmoving kitten you call the vet first, not go to an on line community. At least, that is the way I would have handled it.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-30-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Unread 08-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsing3518 View Post
Obsessed much?

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but yes, I am what you might call obsessed about people getting their cats spayed and neutered.

Your cat has five kittens. Unless you keep them all yourself, and have them all spayed and neutered, you cannot control what happens to those five kittens and any potential offspring from any of them (which is highly likely)

There just aren't enough safe homes for them all. Every unnecessary litter is simply giving sick people that many more opportunities to find cats to abuse and torture. That's my main reason I am angered by cats "accidentally" getting pregnant.

Not to mention all the pregnant cats and kittens who get dumped on the side of the road, or even thrown from a moving car window. The ones who get left in empty apartments when people move out. The ones who manage to survive and start their own feral colonies.

Ah well. Getting carried away I guess. But all the above happens because of "accidental" litters.

Perhaps my lecture was ill timed. But...it's something I feel passionate about. And on an opinion board, you are going to get opinions.

Tags
advice , age , another cat , apartment , baby , belly , bills , birth , boy , breeders , breeding , breeding your cat , breeds , car , care , cat , cat needs , cats , changed , computer , crying , dying , eating , eye , family , feral , fixed , food , great , heat , hey , home , homes , hurt , kitten , kittens , maine coon , mat , mating , money , moving , neutering , not eating , opinion , pee , pet , pregnant , problem , queen , question , save , scared , sex , shelter , shelters , shoes , sleep , spay , spayed , stop , story , thoughts , vet , vet bills , weaned , window

Sponsored Cat Links