It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

fluffyfun is on a distinguished road
Exclamation help with kittens and mother, please!

Hiya guys,

Im new here and im hoping someone may be able to help me. Our cat had kittens 9 days ago, all very healthy, all weighing 8oz at the moment, gaining weight well and feeding well but the problem we now have is the mother was always allowed outside. when we got her we were told she was spayed so thought nothing about letting her out, clearly she wasnt spayed as she has had a litter, anyway, because she was an outdoor cat she has hated being kept in. we have made sure she wasnt allowed out and her and the kittens are living in our upstairs bedroom, the problem is, it was so hot last night i opened the bedroom window and she has escaped, at about midnight last night! i wouldnt have thought she would go out of the upstairs window but she has and now hasnt come back. the kittens are crying for food as obviously its now been 11 hours since she was last in. and i dont know what to do?

We do know how to look after kittens as we ha kittens from our other female who sadly passed away last year, we had to hand rear the litter last year when she died. But we dont want to interfere if we dont need to, yet im feeling that 11 hours is way too long to leave them unfed. should we feed them ourselves and hope the mum comes back soon to continue or do we start hand rearing?

I just dont want to feed them and get our scent all over them anf then for her to come back and completely reject them, but i also dont want to leave them much longer. ive checked them all over and they are still very active but crying for mum.

What should i do?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-05-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Help with kittens

Hello fluffyfun welcome aboard Go ahead and FEED THE KITTENS 11 hours is to long for kittens to go without food when mama kitty comes back home she will take over feeding the little kittens I have fed kittens to help mama kitty's when they are sick and weak here at Paw Town Cats all the mama kitty's get a little help from me at feeding time it is ok to help feed the kittens I use KMR (kitten milk replacer) to feed the little kittens here.

GO AHEAD AND FEED THE KITTENS IT IS OK. =^..^=

Happy Hippie =^..^=
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Yes--please feed the kittens asap, and let us know if mama comes back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 06-08-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

fluffyfun is on a distinguished road

thanks guys.

i did feed them and mum eventually came back 6 hours later after we saw her down the road and i sent hubby to go catch her! she isnt happy at all about being kept in. we have taken them all to the vets just tp be sure all are ok and they are all fine, mum included. he wasnt very helpful though and just said some mum cats decide they dont want to look after their young so we now have to keep a close eye on them. she stil keeps trying to escape and isnt feeding as often as she should now so im tempted to just hand rear them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
join us now, freedom of speech, great fun and lots going on!!
Unread 06-08-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Help with kittens

Hi I'm happy to hear that mama kitty is back home. An your vet is right some Mama cats decide they don't want to or if she is a young cat an this is her first litter she may not know what to do so they stop looking after their young an stop caring for them an just abandon the litter all together. I had to hand raise many kittens after mama cat stop caring for them or just abandon them. Keep your kitty indoors she will not like. "i can tell ya i know" an when the kittens are about four to six weeks old take mama cat to the vet and get her spayed because some mama kitties JUST DON'T MAKE GOOD MOTHERS. an trying to keep a mama cat indoor is a full time job it just get worst when she comes in heat.

Take care an once again I am happy she is home

If you have some pictures of your kitties will you please post them for all of us to see them. thank you

Happy Hippie =^..^=

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” by Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by happyhippie; 06-08-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Tags
art , care , cat , cats , color , crying , eye , female , food , happy , healthy , heat , hey , home , in heat , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , night , outdoor , paw , problem , sick , spayed , stop , weight , window

Sponsored Cat Links