It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2013   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Cynthia is on a distinguished road
Default unexperienced of a pregnant cat, please help

Hi all,
I just registered because I need you help.

A year ago my mother and I moved into a small house in the countryside in southern Italy, and then I decided to fulfill my dream and bring a kitten... but my mother told me that I was crazy to bring home a female cat! At the time I did not understand very well, but in Friday May 10, 2013 I finally realized what my mom wanted to tell me... the cat gave birth to four kittens right in my bed! I saw the scene confused and did not know if I should send them all out of the house, but it was too late.
I ask you, are four kittens too many for a one year old mother?
I read in another forum that usually only one or two will survive and the mother risks her life to feed all four kittens. Is it true?
Now the mother and all kittens are in good health and I would not give away even one of them or even less kill them!
And another question, what kind of food should I use for my lovely Janette (This is the name of the mother)?
Can I give her the usual cat food that is found in the supermarkets?

Please give me some suggestions...

Last edited by Cynthia; 05-12-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-12-2013   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Janette will probably know what to do with her babies.

There is no problem with having a female cat, if you have her spayed.

Janette will need to be spayed when she starts weaning the kittens, usually when they are about 6 or 8 weeks old. KEEP HER INSIDE at all times now because she can go into heat and get pregnant again at any time, even while still nursing. If she gets pregnant she will no longer be able to nurse the litter she has.

Once the kittens are weaned and at least 2 pounds, they all should be spayed and neutered also, or you soon will have more cats than you know what to do with. Cats mate with siblings, they don't care about things like genetics.

Feed the mother cat a good canned diet. Feed canned kitten food if you can find it, but any good canned food high in meat protein will be good. Since she is nursing four kittens she will need to eat a lot so feed her as much as she asks for.

When the kittens are about 6 weeks old you can start offering them some canned food too, be prepared for messes!

Start now looking for a vet, if you don't already have one, so when the time comes you can get Janette her check up and spay, and the kittens spayed and neutered when they are big enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-12-2013   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you so much for the fast reply, I've got to understand many important things I still didn't know...especially that she could go into heat again while nursing.

I think I'll fight with my mom about cats issue, she already told me to get rid of at least 3 of the litter.

Unfortunately, I had not considered the vet problem. The kittens are 3 males and 1 female and it will cost about 500 € to spay and neuter them all, and I'm not sure my mom will afford the expense. I thought I'd give someone the female puppy to prevent they mate between them.

I noticed now that the fourth puppy, which is the smallest and was born a quarter of hour after the others, has a bent tail as a "V" and almost broken...do you think his tail will adjust itself?
Unread 05-13-2013   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome. The thing is, even if you do find a home for the girl kitten, the male kittens and the mother will still need to be neutered and spayed. (And the girl kitten, ideally, should be spayed before she goes to her new home, to prevent her from breeding.)

The the mother will continue to go into heat every couple of weeks, until she is pregnant or spayed. This is a miserable life for a cat, plus puts her at high risk for uterine cancer, pyometra and breast cancer.

The male kittens, when they are old enough, will mate with and impregnate the mother when she goes into heat.

Male cats who are not neutered, once they mature, have a terrible smelling pee. If they are kept inside un-neutered, they begin to spray, everywhere. If let out, they get into fights, risking injury and disease, or wander off in search of females and never come home.

No matter how you look at it, when you have cats, they need to be spayed and neutered.

In the USA we have low cost spay and neuter programs. I recommend you see if you can find anything like that where you are.

If you cannot get them all spayed and neutered, and want to keep only the mother, the kittens can be taken to a rescue or shelter when they are 10 or 12 weeks old. But the mother will still need to be spayed.

I know this is a lot to think about all at once. But cats are prolific breeders, and unwanted cats and kittens is a serious problem everywhere. Not to mention the health risks when left un-altered.

Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions and I will try to help you with answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 05-13-2013   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions and I will try to help you with answers.
Ok. But I'll make you very sad telling you how it ended
Saturday night I went out, and when back home I found Janette crying, with a rear claw in very bad condition and walked with one leg. I also noticed she had pain in the back and in some stomach area.

I asked my mom about what the hell happened and she said she sent out the cat for poop and pee as usual, I forgot to tell my mom to avoid making the cat go out.

She was out for only 20 minutes. I have no idea what really happened, maybe she tried to take food from another cat or a dog...or from a neighbor who was pissed and has beaten her with a wooden stick or a hammer??
This had never happened before, maybe she was too weak to escape.

The worst part is that she's not nursing the puppies anymore, she tries but have no milk! The female kitten died Sunday morning, another one next, and the two stronger are in bad conditions and crying continuously.

She simply seems to have given up nursing, even if still near the kittens and available

She's slowly improving from the pain but I don't know what to do to save the kittens. They are 3 days old and I guess there is nothing that can replace the milk. I just hope she resumes to make milk, but I don't think so.
What's the best thing I can do in this case, prevent the kittens to suffer any longer...?

Last edited by Cynthia; 05-13-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Unread 05-15-2013   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I hope you have taken mother and kittens to the vet by now. There is kitten formula that can be used to feed orphaned kittens. I'm sorry about the two that died.

If your mother does not want the cat, it may be best to find another home for her. Sounds like she was hit by a car or attacked by another animal. She needs the vet.

I'm sorry this is happening.

please read this first
Unread 05-15-2013   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
I hope you have taken mother and kittens to the vet by now. There is kitten formula that can be used to feed orphaned kittens. I'm sorry about the two that died.

If your mother does not want the cat, it may be best to find another home for her. Sounds like she was hit by a car or attacked by another animal. She needs the vet.

I'm sorry this is happening.

A car? then she was really lucky to have only half a rear claw wounded ... good news though, the first-born kitten is safe and in good health! I bought a baby milk liter and a syringe and I'm doing the cat-sitter.
The vet wasn't needed for now, I am doing the job very well; I will post the pics of mother and kitten sleeping together

Just a little question: is a 25 ml syringe of milk enough every 3 or 4 hours?

Now I am the cat-sitter of an adorable reddish kitten and I want to keep him alive at all costs. I'll let you informed about future events.

Thanks a million for your availability and suggestions. We both love cats and we can understand each other like no other in the world!
I'm surprised that there are people who say:"I would leave cats to die on the street and just love dogs!"

The cat is the best creature in the world and I'd not trade it with anyone else.

cheers

Cynthia
Unread 05-15-2013   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You said she had pain in her back and stomach also, which could indicate internal injuries. So only one kitten survived? I'm glad you were able to keep him alive, good work!

The mother must be spayed now, right away. If you don't spay her you are going to have to go through this again in another 2 or 3 months.

I'm glad they have you to take care of them.

please read this first
Unread 05-19-2013   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Unfortunately, the last kitty is gone. The mother had recovered after the accident but I didn't know that the artificial nursing requires goat's milk, not the cow milk, or that the milk powder for kittens does exist!

Now she is suffering, she sits in the corner where was the basket with the children, cries and eats very little.

I noticed a strange thing after the accident: it seemed that when she came back in the basket did not care about avoiding to climb on to the last kitten, probably was herself to choking him because he already was in bad condition.

I feel very guilty.

I learned that if you want to be a cat-sitter you need to know what to do!
I will definitely look for a program to spay her as soon as possible.

Last edited by Cynthia; 05-19-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Tags
another cat , birth , breeding , car , cat , cat food , cats , crazy , diet , dog , dogs , fast , female , fight , fights , food , found , girl , health , heat , hey , home , house , italy , kitten , kittens , litter , new home , pee , poop , pregnant , problem , question , siblings , small , spayed , suggestions , weaning

Sponsored Cat Links