It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2007   #1 (permalink)
Genesis3c

Default Just what type of breed is my cat?

I have a 6 year old cat,I've had him since he was a kitten ,but he has some markings on him that has always made me wonder if his mother a small black and white cat,was breeding with a type of forrest cat somewhere,because he has two dark brown circles that resemble something of a "forrest cat" one on each side of his abdomen,and his thighs are brown,with beige spots,his paws are white,and his neck and under belly are white too,and he has a well defined letter M on his fore head,and hardly any fur at all on his ears,and dark brown stripes every where else on his body.Do you think he is a "mut cat",or do you think I have inter breed "forrest cat"?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2007   #2 (permalink)
Sean Y

You probably just have what is known as a Domestic Shorthair or Domestic Longhaired cat. The markings you are describing are very typical of the "tabby" coloration of cats, and some purebred cats do display tabby colorations and markings, many many average, run of the mill, every day cats do too. (The "M" on the head is a typical tabby marking, as well as a spotted belly.) I don't know the cat population or the pet owners in your area, but in my area at least, purebred cats of any breed are rare to come across, and most especially that breed. But, does it really matter what your cat is? He doesn't have to a rare breed mix to be a very special cat, does he? He's a super pet no matter what he is, so why don't you just enjoy him knowing that?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-24-2007   #3 (permalink)
lilangelwasdevil

I would say your cat is certainly a mix... sounds georgous.. may be a mix of a tabby .. tabby's have amazing markings on them ... who really knows for sure.. he may be part wild

Unread 04-24-2007   #4 (permalink)
gnomes31

Egyptian Mau, American Bob Tail, Ocicat are three recognized breeds that have "forrest cat spots" on them. Is there anything about his face or ears that are shaped differently then a "normal" house cat? The shape of a cat tells us more about the breed then the colouring especially when they are mixed.

www.cfa.org

Tags
amazing , belly , black , breed , breeding , breeds , brown , cat , cats , fur , hey , house , joy , kitten , mat , ocicat , pet , rare , shorthair , small , spotted , tabby , type , wild

Sponsored Cat Links