It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > Cat Breeds > Cat Breeds Central
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2007   #1 (permalink)
jen k

Default how long are cats in heat for if you do not breed and how much does it cost

to fix a female?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-21-2007   #2 (permalink)
kindra63

it cost me about 250.00 to fix my cat.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-21-2007   #3 (permalink)
Jamie H

She should stay in heat for about 3-5 days, but some cats don't ever come out of heat. It only cost me about $100 to get my cat fixed because we got a certificate from the animal shelter (you donate to the shelter, you only have to pay for the drugs and vet stay, not the actualy procedure). If your cat ends up staying in heat, she can be fixed while in heat.

Unread 05-22-2007   #4 (permalink)
Angelkiss

I have never heard of a cat not coming off heat! Although it may feel like it, as once a cats comes of age her calling (heat) can recur every 2-3 weeks until she is mated or fixed. Most cats call for about 5 days.
It is better to get your cat fixed and not let her keep calling over and over again as this can cause health problems. Plus a cat in heat may start scent marking to attract a mate. (Its not just male cats that scent mark with urine).
I hope this helps.
Angelkiss x

Unread 01-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
KittyCity

According to vets, a cat can come in and out of heat all the time. its not like a dog. She can go into heat for almost 2 weeks, come out for a week and go right back in. Check with your humane society and see if you qualify for help with the spay.

Also- each vet is different. AND if she is in heat when she's spayed- there's usually an extra cost- AND the humane society doesn't help with that charge. Its usually not TOO bad of an extra cost but, call around to local vets and get prices.

Make sure you ask questions like - any additional costs, bloodwork required prior to surgery, make sure you know all your options!

Unread 01-06-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Catherine Lover is on a distinguished road

I don't remember how much it was to fix Catherine, but I remember they had to keep her there for 2 whole weeks! When I saw her again my eyes lit up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unread 01-06-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Lover View Post
I don't remember how much it was to fix Catherine, but I remember they had to keep her there for 2 whole weeks! When I saw her again my eyes lit up!
What was the complication?

Cost of spay varies a lot by where you live.

There is an organization in my community that offers a spay/neuter, rabies shot, and nail trim all for $30! A local vet volunteers her time for this monthly clinic, and it is funded through donations. Anyone in the area can use this clinic but there is a long waiting list.

this same organization also offers discount coupons to be used at participating vets for a reduced spay or neuter cost, that program has certain low income requirements, the monthly clinic does not. Also all funded through private donations.
Unread 01-06-2009   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Catherine Lover is on a distinguished road

I live in North Muskegon, Michigan

Unread 05-08-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Lover View Post
Why did she have to stay there for two weeks?
Unread 05-08-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindra63 View Post
it cost me about 250.00 to fix my cat.
250?!? wow, that's a lot! It cost me $85 to have my female spayed. I called around to various vets in my area, asking about pricing. 85 was the cheapest, and the vet we saw was also highly recommended by my neighbors.

Tags
age , animal , art , breed , cat , cat in heat , cats , cool , discount , dog , eyes , female , fixed , health , heat , hey , in heat , kitty , male , money , nail trim , neuter , problems , rabies , shelter , spay , spay/neuter , spayed , surgery , test , urine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links