It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
merankorii

Default Is this a Savannah kitten?

This kitten showed up at our house about a week ago, meowing from a tree. She has a kind of exotic look to her (the first thing we thought was that she resembled a bobcat, but after some research I learned that bobcat hybrids are nearly unheard of). I've been watching Youtube videos of Savannah kittens and some of the later generations (F4, F5, etc.) kind of look like her.

She is long and leggy. I don't know how old she is, but she's about the same size as our 3 month old chihuahua. She is very friendly and highly energetic. She sleeps with us at night and follows us around wherever we go, usually meowing loudly. Her coat is mostly striped, with broken up stripes that resemble spots, as well as a spotted belly.

Here are some pics:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Welcome ! How blessed you are to have found such a loving kitten with the most affectionate personality. She's absolutely adorable ! My Princess Tiger has similar friendly personality too.

Did you take her to the vet yet ? When my kitties first joined us as kittens, the first thing I needed to do is to have the same rituals (all kitty owners should know)-- get kitty wormed, fleas treated, 1st and 2nd vaccinations, general health check ups, gender and age inspections... The vet will remind you when you can take her to get spayed.

Once again, thank you for rescuing her and congrats for taking in such a wonderful kitten !

What is her name ? Give her my love, hugs and kisses !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
merankorii

Thank you for the kind reply

Her name is Nixie (short for Onyxia). I am planning to take her to the vet within the next week to get everything checked out and taken care of. I will probably also ask the vet about what breed he thinks she is. Although she is definitely domestic, I think she really has an exotic look.

Unread 06-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome!

Nixie is fab, concats!
Cannot wait to see more pix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by merankorii View Post
Thank you for the kind reply

Her name is Nixie (short for Onyxia). I am planning to take her to the vet within the next week to get everything checked out and taken care of. I will probably also ask the vet about what breed he thinks she is. Although she is definitely domestic, I think she really has an exotic look.
Hi Nixie ! I agree with your human meowmy, you really have an exotic look ! Those who see you will definetely fall in love with you ! Good luck at the vet !

Unread 06-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Yes Nixie is lush,and I am in love,she's soo sweet.I'm Cheryl by the way,welcome.xxxxx
Unread 06-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Welcome, your Nixie is adorable. Especially in the first pic. Aaaw!
Unread 06-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Close-up showing ocelli and tear-stain markings on a 4-month old F1 savannah.

Savannahs are considered one of the larger breeds of domesticated cats. Their tall and slim build gives Savannahs the appearance of greater size than their actual weight.[6] F1 hybrid and F2 hybrids are usually the largest, due to the stronger genetic influence of the African Serval ancestor. Male Savannahs tend to be larger than females. Early generation Savannahs may weigh 20 to 35 lbs. Size is also very dependent on generation and sex, with F1 male cats usually being the largest. Later generation Savannahs are usually between 12 to 25 lbs. Because of the random factors in Savannah hybrid genetics, there can be significant variation in size, even in one litter. Some breeders report Savannahs in excess of 40 pounds.
The coat of a Savannah depends a lot on the breed of cat used for the domestic cross. Early generations have some form of dark spotting on a lighter coat, and many breeders employ "wild" looking spotted breeds such as the Bengal and Egyptian Mau for the cross to help preserve these markings in later generations. The International Cat Association (TICA) breed standard calls for brown spotted tabby (cool to warm brown, tan or gold with black or dark brown spots), silver spotted tabby (silver coat with black or dark grey spots), black (black with black spots), and black smoke (black tipped silver with black spots) only.[7] In addition, the Savannah can come in nonstandard variations such as the classic or marble patterns, snow coloration (Point (coat color)), and blue or other diluted colors derived from domestic sources of cat coat genetics.
The overall look of an individual Savannah depends greatly on generation, with higher-percentage Savannah cats often having a more "wild" look. The domestic breed that is used will influence appearance as well. The domestic out-crosses for the Savannah breed that are permissible in The International Cat Association (TICA) are the Egyptian Mau, the Ocicat, the Oriental Shorthair, and the Domestic Shorthair. In addition, some Savannah breeders use "non-permissible" breeds or mixes such as Bengal (for size and vivid spotting) and Maine Coon cats (for size) for the domestic parentage. A Savannah's wild look is often due to the presence of many distinguishing Serval characteristics. Most prominent of these include the various color markings and tall, erect ears. The bodies of Savannahs are long and leggy—when a Savannah is standing, their hind-end is often higher than their shoulders. The head is taller than wide, and they have a long slender neck.[4] The backs of the ears have ocelli, a central light band bordered by black, dark grey or brown, giving an eye-like effect. The short tail has black rings, with a solid black tip. The eyes are blue as a kitten (as in other cats), and may be green, brown, gold or a blended shade as an adult. The eyes have a "boomerang" shape, with a slightly hooded brow to protect them from harsh sunlight. Black or dark "tear-streak" or "cheetah tear" markings run from the corner of the eyes down the sides of the nose to the whiskers, much like a cheetah's. These tear marks also help reduce glare from sunlight, which aids the Savannah's vision during hunting.
Most F1 generation Savannahs will possess many or all of these traits, while their presence often diminishes in later generations. Being a hybridized-breed of cats, appearance can vary far more than cat owners may be used to. Photos of different generations can be found at the SIMBAwebsite.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Cute pic, Maya and thank you for your information. I love to look up things on wikipedia too.

Anastasia does the same thing with her ears sometimes. Of course, she's not a Savannah, though, hehe.

Tags
addition , adult , age , animal , belly , bengal , black , breed , breeders , breeds , brown , care , cat , cats , cheetah , classic , cool , exotic , eye , eyes , found , friendly , grey , house , international , kitten , kittens , love , maine coon , male , meowing , night , ocicat , photos , savannah , serval , sex , shorthair , spotted , striped , tabby , upload , vet , videos , weight , youtube

Sponsored Cat Links