It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2006   #1 (permalink)
Oreo

Default I have a question???

my almost 1 year old cat (oreo) is so sweet and loving, she never had a problem with my family until she met my father-in-law. he never did anything bad to oreo and every time he gets near her, he tries to pet, or tries to pick her up, she gets upset and wants to bite him. can any one tell me why she does this or if your know of other cat that does the same thing? please let me know

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-27-2006   #2 (permalink)
Oreo

thanks for this

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-27-2006   #3 (permalink)
felicsthecat

Maybe there is something in your father-in-law that your cat noticed and didn't like. Or maybe it's because he is a new addition to the household and she doesn't like his presence. Just a guess.

Unread 09-27-2006   #4 (permalink)
catfish

One thing I notice about cats is that they are territorial just like most of the animals. If they feel their territory is threatened they scare off the other cats.

Unread 09-29-2006   #5 (permalink)
LuckyBambu

Does he wear any cologne or anything? Maybe the cat doesn't like it.

Don't just have him pet her, let him coax her over with a cat treat or something and let her smell him. Then he can start rubbing her head or something.

Unread 09-29-2006   #6 (permalink)
Siamese_ifyouplease

It's sad that they didn't hit it off, but once they start to see eachother a bit they will either get friendly with one another, or just respect that they're not going to. Its simple as that.

Unread 10-01-2006   #7 (permalink)
Joi

If he has been in contact with other animals, your cat might smell them and be freaked out.

Also, I've noticed that some cats are slow to warm up to men - whether it's the deeper voice, or whatever I'm not sure. I read once, in a very, very old book (so old, June Cleaver could've read it) that cats spend most of their time with females, so not only are they not as familiar with males - the males are tyring to cut in on their time with their "mothers!" Even though this was written at a time when women were at home all day, while men were out working - I think it's still often true that we're often the ones who feed them, and we all know what an important duty that is to cats.

Maybe if your father in law were to start giving your cat treats or even do the feeding every now and again - they might become such big buddies that you have to ask for an invitation to play along!

Unread 10-01-2006   #8 (permalink)
tabbylover224

I don't think that that is necessarily true, my kitty loved men moreso then women when we first got him, my sister was jealous because he preferred her boyfriend to her. I thnk its important to build a relationship between the two though.

Unread 10-19-2006   #9 (permalink)
kelly6785

There may be a particular scent on your father in laws clothing that could be making the cat bite him. It could even have been something that he ate and the cat picked up the scent on his hands?

Unread 10-27-2006   #10 (permalink)
Buttrfly

Some cats get really jealous. I had a cat when I was dating my husband...it never wanted to bite him, but every time we got close, the cat would get between us. LOL I raised this cat from a newborn so it got jealous of my time. Maybe that's what's bothering your cat.

Tags
addition , art , bite , book , boyfriend , cat , cats , cut , dating , family , friendly , fun , hey , home , kitty , loving , newborn , oops , pet , play , problem , question , sad , smell , territorial , upset

Sponsored Cat Links