It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2006   #1 (permalink)
softpaws

Default Clipping cat nails

Most of my childhood we had dogs and I remember my mom using a special clipper to trim the dogs claws. Have you ever tried to clip your cats claws? Is this necessary? Wouldn't it keep them from clawing up your furniture? How would you go about it or would you send them to the vet or professional groomer?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-21-2006   #2 (permalink)
wendywenpet

I don't clip Egor's nails. I had the vet do it once when she went in for a check up and Egor bit the vet. She came back out with one of those cones around her head. I had a good giggle.

She has a kitty condo scratching post that I replace once a year. Due for another one for Christmas. And then I have an old couch that she scratches at one corner. Way past trying to get her to stop. But my hubby doesn't like the couch but I love to curl up in it and watch TV and have a snooze.

I would think it is not that expensive to clip your cats nails if you are not comfortable with doing it.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-22-2006   #3 (permalink)
catatonic

I think going to the vet is the best or should i say the safest way of clipping cat's nails. Because you might hurt them too in the process, their nails are also quite sensitive, thus if you don't clip it right it might injure your precious babies and it would surely cause them to panic everytime they see a clipper.

Unread 01-18-2007   #4 (permalink)
Rocky

Ive never had to clip my cats claws. Hes got a scartching pole that hes never used - the lounge is much more fun. They dont seem to be long or out of control so I guess Ill just keep an eye on them. I would rather take him to the vet if they need doing though, I would be too nervous.

Unread 01-19-2007   #5 (permalink)
Buttrfly

I trim my cat's nails all the time. It's not much different than clipping a dog's nails. The best thing I have found for keeping them from clawing the furniture is a thing called softpaws. Just go to softpaws.com & see for yourself. They're covers that you put on their nails that keep them from damaging things. Hope this helps.

Unread 01-20-2007   #6 (permalink)
Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttrfly View Post
I trim my cat's nails all the time. It's not much different than clipping a dog's nails. The best thing I have found for keeping them from clawing the furniture is a thing called softpaws. Just go to softpaws.com & see for yourself. They're covers that you put on their nails that keep them from damaging things. Hope this helps.
What a great idea! Ill have to have a look although Im not sure how my cat would go keeping them on lol

Unread 01-21-2007   #7 (permalink)
Buttrfly

They're glued on. So I don't think your cat would be able to get them off very easily. They're supposed to just come off when the cat sheds its outer claw & then you put a new set on. Good luck!

Unread 01-23-2007   #8 (permalink)
A-Rod's Mama

They do have special mail clippers for cats. My husband or I cut A-Rod's nails, probably once a week. The first 2 times I would say he was alittle bratty with it.You reward them with a cat treat after wards. That way it is a positive experience. But now I just put him on his back on my belly and cut them. He stays still because he knows he is getting a treat! You just have to watch how much you're cutting. You can of course hurt your cat. But honestly it is no different than cutting your own, a baby's or a dog. I do think you should trim your cat's nails. If they are too long they will get caught in things. Then they, can hurt themselves by tearing their nails. So if you still feel unsure-have your vete show you! Good Luck!

Unread 01-23-2007   #9 (permalink)
siam mom

i've heard about those but always wondered how they retract their claws? or are they small enough that it doesn't affect them?

Unread 01-23-2007   #10 (permalink)
Buttrfly

They're thin enough that they don't have any effect on them retracting their claws.

Tags
angry , babies , baby , belly , cat , cat's , cats , christmas , clawing , claws , clip , clipping , cut , dog , dogs , eye , found , fun , fur , furniture , great , hey , hurt , kitty , love , nails , nervous , scratch , scratching , small , stop , vet

Sponsored Cat Links